Worth complaining about?

kennygalbraith
kennygalbraith Posts: 101
edited February 2015 in Commuting general
On my way home a bin lorry nearly wipes me out!

I wear I vis clothes, white helmet and bright lights!

http://youtu.be/EFARDh3xgfs

Comments

• Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Christ!

Yup. Send the link to whoever runs the company and cc the Police. Definitely due care, it's not like you weren't lit up!
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • neal1984
    neal1984 Posts: 240
    I'd be straight on the phone. What an absolute a$$hole. You can see how bright your light is by the reflect back of the lorry.

Life is like riding a bicycle: you don't fall off unless you stop pedaling.

Scott Foil Team Issue HMX Di2
    Boardman Team Carbon LTD
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    yeah, would be worth letting them know, if you know the time and location they'll be able to give the driver a bit of a talking to. Might make him pay more attention in the future.
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • Yes. I got a really close pass last week from a coach.

Emailed, kept it polite, reminded them of the Highway Code.

Got a nice, pleasant and apologetic reply. So good in fact that I thanked them for responding and told them that, of the 2 complaints I've ever actually made, the other had completely ignored me so it was nice to see someone deal properly.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • grahamcp
    grahamcp Posts: 323
    Slightly OT but I am liking the dashboard style speedo, HR etc with the video... what are you using to get those on there?
  • It's the garmin edit software...free download. One of the reasons why I bought the virb elite.
  • grahamcp
    grahamcp Posts: 323
    It's the garmin edit software...free download. One of the reasons why I bought the virb elite.

Very cool - thanks!
  • fatsmoker
    fatsmoker Posts: 585
    Are bin lorries the new white vans? Had one overtake me yesterday on the run in to a set of red traffic lights. He then stays there to let the passenger out while the lights have turned to green. I called him cnut, but he didn't hear.
  • fatsmoker
    fatsmoker Posts: 585
    Are bin lorries the new white vans? Had one overtake me yesterday on the run in to a set of red traffic lights. He then stays there to let the passenger out while the lights have turned to green. I called him cnut, but he didn't hear.
  • phills
    phills Posts: 68
    It's the garmin edit software...free download. One of the reasons why I bought the virb elite.

Slightly off topic but just wanted to add that you can download and use this software with pretty much any
    camera and GPS setup. I import my GoPro footage and Garmin 500 data (HR, Cadence etc) into it and it
    adds the overlays for you. Nice bit of software.
  • phills
    edited January 2015
    delete pls, forum timed out. :oops:
  • phills
    Delete pls. :oops:
  • A good result...

I am writing in response to your email of 22 January 2015.
    I apologise for the delay in responding, however permission to view YouTube had to be requested. In addition, once we were able to view the video on YouTube and were able to confirm, as you said, that the vehicle involved in the incident belonged to Glasgow City Council, the incident was passed to all depot managers for information and feedback.
    To clarify, the depot at Shieldhall has council vehicles from all over the city going to deposit refuse there, so it was unfortunately not possible to identify, beyond doubt, the vehicle involved in this incident. I therefore requested that all managers bring this to the attention of their drivers and remind them of council driving standards and good driving behaviour in general.
    At this time of year, all drivers (city wide) are currently being given their annual Tool Box Talk (LES/TBT:11 (Driver’s Daily Checks and Driver’s Responsibilities), and I have been advised that this incident will form part of that talk.
    I trust that this information is of assistance to you. Please accept my apologies on behalf of the council for the distress that this incident caused.

Yours sincerely
  • Waste lorries on the old A40 from denam to beconsfield tend to buzz me too. Not nice.
  • York bin lorries are similar in many respects.

I got knocked off a few years ago - lorry turned right, into my path (he was looking at the pretty ladies instead of oncoming traffic, as he said at the time).
    Whilst the driver was contrite, his manager puckered up rather quickly when asked for replacement kit. Home insurance legal cover eventually managed to pull him to pieces.

I managed to smash the superstrong windscreen with my helmet. I had a bit of a headache for a while, and the imprint of the windscreen wiper on my shoulder for a good few days
    Commute: Langster -Singlecross - Brompton S2-LX

Road: 95 Trek 5500 -Look 695 Aerolight eTap - Boardman TTe eTap

Offroad: Pace RC200 - Dawes Kickback 2 tandem - Tricross - Boardman CXR9.8 - Ridley x-fire