self driving cars are going to cause delays

frisbee
frisbee Posts: 691
edited January 2015 in Road general
According to the Sunday Times, they'll get stuck behind cyclists because they are programmed to obey the highway code and leave a reasonable gap when overtaking.

Bring on self driving cars!

Comments

• That will change fairly quickly I think, I highly doubt the industry will be held up by cyclists.
  • They;ll be programmed to run us off the road.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,832
    foot_loose wrote:
    They;ll be programmed to run us off the road.

only the vans and audi's
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Naaah I imagine google is full of cyclists. Its the new golf dontcha know.

I cant see self driving cars being any worse than what we have now to be honest...
  • I'm looking forward to seeing how the self driving cars get on- having a machine that can react much faster than a human driver and will never 'take a chance' or do anything risky assuming the programming and detectors are up to scratch.
    If anything I reckon they'll cut congestion on the arterial roads as they won't cut lanes randomly, keep a constant speed and filter onto busy junctions sensibly- especially if they communicate locally with other vehicles.

The biggest danger I can forsee in the long run will be when humans have to take manual control and don't really understand what they're doing.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    What I really look forward to is the need for traffic lights being eliminated - cars can just drive through junctions at high speed, synchronised by wifi. What could possibly go wrong?
  • bompington wrote:
    What I really look forward to is the need for traffic lights being eliminated - cars can just drive through junctions at high speed, synchronised by wifi. What could possibly go wrong?

I'll start a list.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    do you think you could stick something on the left wing to make it think there was always something to its left and thn when it gets to a roundabout it would just keep going round and round?
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • cougie wrote:
    Naaah I imagine google is full of cyclists. Its the new golf dontcha know.

I cant see self driving cars being any worse than what we have now to be honest...

They are full of cyclists, the company campus provides these bikes for employee use.

https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7139/6967 ... 3c3a_z.jpg
  • If you stuck an image of a cyclist on a white van man's side mirror will he keep turning to the right on a roundabout to try and hit the cyclist?