Genuine Advice Needed

Jonathan13
Jonathan13 Posts: 2
edited January 2015 in Road beginners
Dear All,

As a complete novice, I've spent time on the internet and pinned down to only three bikes matching my budget as listed below.

http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/claud-bu ... 77205.html
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/felt-z95-sora-2014/
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/avanti-giro-2-sora-2014/

I'm planning to do some long distance cycling, not knowing much about Gearing an any further details could anyone please provide some advice on the first time purchase?

To teach a man to fish, what exactly should I be looking out when deciding?

Much appreciated and have a good weekend.

Comments

• kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    I would try and test ride the bikes if possible. A bike you like the look and ride of is more likely to get ridden. On a test ride you are really just making sure the bike seems to fit you OK. A slightly too small bike is no problem and easily sorted, a bike that is too big leaves you with nowhere to go.

When it comes to gearing the second two bikes you list have easier gears and the first is more for fitter faster riders. The Felt seems the best beginner bike due to the 12-32 gearing and is well priced for what you get.
  • fludey
    fludey Posts: 384
    I can only comment on the felt as I had one similar but next model up on 105...I would be still riding it today if I hadn't damaged the frame it was a very good bike..good level of kit and we'll set up from Wiggle. Even now I'm still using all the parts from it on a Plant X carbon frame..and still have my felt ar4...so you wouldn't go far wrong with the Felt.
    Felt AR4
    Planet X Pro Carbon 105
    MTB Kona Kikapu Deluxe with a few upgrades!!
  • ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    I would look at a few local bike shops and try bikes for size, and if you like one ask for a short test ride. You won't have as much choice as looking online, but at least you will see the bike, sit on it to be more sure of the sizing, get face to face advice, hopefully have at least a short test ride and have somewhere local to take bike back to for sorting out anything that needs adjusting or fixing.
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    I got the previous years version of the Felt from Wiggle as my first road bike. It's superb for the cash. I'm selling it very soon just because I'm going to upgrade, but thus is just because I want a new bike rather than anything being wrong with the Felt.
  • Kajjal wrote:
    I would try and test ride the bikes if possible. A bike you like the look and ride of is more likely to get ridden. On a test ride you are really just making sure the bike seems to fit you OK.

This. Surfing the net is fine for bowsing but in my opinion it's no way to buy a bike unless you know exactly you want and can size it correctly. Is there a decent bike shop near you where they will make sure you get a bike that fits? This is far more important than spec.

As far as gearing, most bikes now come with 'compact' chain rings- ie 2 chain rings at the front, one of which is much smaller to give you some low gears. Personally I prefer a triple as it avoids the big gap between front chain rings, allows for closer ratios on the rear sprockets while still giving you low gears, and probably reduces front changes, but triples seem to be going out of fashion for road bikes.

Evans, Edinburgh bicycle co-op and Decathlon all have bikes in your price range and have shops where you can try them out.
  • Tjgoodhew
    Tjgoodhew Posts: 628
    I think buying off the internet is fine for a beginner - even somebody that has never ridden before and has zero idea around sizing. You can make some great savings over buying from an LBS

There are numerous tools online that can help you with getting the right frame size. Its not until you have ridden a fair few miles before you realise how the bike needs to fit and what your personal limitations are. A 5 minute ride around a carpark isnt going to help with this one way or the other.

If you want advice then post your measurements on here and plenty of people will be happy to advise on frame size.

I would say most importantly is buy the bike you like the look of. It sounds silly but if you love the bike you will want to ride it as much as possible
    Cannondale Caad8
    Canyon Aeroad 8.0

http://www.strava.com/athletes/goodhewt
  • You say long distance, I assume you are thinking of touring?

If so, I'd buy a triple chainring. Not the lightest, but you'll thank it on a steep climb at the end of a long ride, especially with luggage. Also triples have a lot of overlap between the cogs. This adds to the flexibility when compared with compacts. I'd look at a 3x9 speed.

Re the frame. Again, weight isn't everything. Go for a frame which feels comfortable on the road. Carbon forks can remove some of the "buzzing" common in ali bikes, but if you can try before you buy. Also you need to consider if you want mudguards and luggage. If so, I'd get a frame with the lugs on for this.

My one piece of advise is find a frame that fits. You can change any other component over time, but the frame is the heart of the machine.