Boardman Carbon Road Bike

greg123
greg123 Posts: 3
edited January 2015 in Workshop
Hello Everyone,

I have recently had an accident on my Boardman carbon bike. I was riding along and suddenly and without warning the front wheel and handle bars came away as the forks/frame completely snapped causing me to injure myself.

The bike is about 3 years old and has been regularly serviced and "looked after" well so needless to say I was pretty shocked that this happened. The frame looks like it has a foreign substance within it. From the research I have carried out online this seems to be the bladder used during the carbon manufacturing process that is still present within the forks.

I was just wandering if anyone had ever come across this kind of thing happening before with Boardman bikes where the frame fails?, if this is a common thing that the bladder was left in during the manufacturing process, and whether this was a possible manufacturing defect or if I was just unlucky that it was left within my frame?.....or alternatively if this would have nothing to do with the frame snapping.

Comments appreciated to help out a novice. :)

Comments

• ic.
    ic. Posts: 769
    Have you contacted Boardman or the retailer? I've never heard anything like this before
    2020 Reilly Spectre - raw titanium
    2020 Merida Reacto Disc Ltd - black on black
    2015 CAAD8 105 - very green - stripped to turbo bike
    2018 Planet X Exocet 2 - grey

The departed:

2017 Cervelo R3 DI2 - sold
    Boardman CX Team - sold
    Cannondale Synapse - broken
    Cube Streamer - stolen
    Boardman Road Comp - stolen
  • dwanes
    dwanes Posts: 954
    You must have taken some photos.
    Can you post them so we can make constructive comments, otherwise some will say it didn't happen. :wink: Thanks.
  • mattv
    mattv Posts: 992
    Boardman frames have a 2 year warranty I think. I suggest you get onto them ASAP and see what they say.
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    Is this your first post here?
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • Surely a snapped frame should be under lifetime warranty!? If not it is like saying on the part of Boardman " We will guarantee your frame will not snap into pieces for 2 years, after that we just don't know.." Surely not!
  • mattv
    mattv Posts: 992
    That's what it says on their website. 2 years on the frame. Spesh (and I think giant now) are lifetime.
  • Thank you for the replies.

I am looking into it with Halfords/Boardman and waiting to hear back from them but in the meantime just thought I would see if anyone had any previous experience/knowledge of a similar thing happening to them as the only thing I could think of was a possible manufacturing issue as wouldn't expect the frame to just snap for no apparent reason

Thanks again.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Do let us know what happens.
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    Greg, the Boardman Team Carbon is one of the biggest selling carbon bikes in the UK. There are thousands of them in UK roads yet there has never been another report on here of such a failure. As you have had the bike for 3 years, it would be hard to dismiss accidental damage or shoddy maintenance (such as over tightening the head set) as the most likely cause. A manufacturing fault simply would not take this long to manifest itself, especially a fault that resulted in such sudden and catastrophic failure of the frame.

You say the bike has been well and regularly maintained but any crack in the headset would take some time to work its way through what is a large thick walled section of the frame. The start of such a crack would be spotted by anyone servicing your bike, if they did their job well. If a bike comes back from a service in anything other than pristine clean condition, then your frame has not been examined during the service.

It is a fallacy that carbon bikes are somehow weak, fragile or brittle. They are incredibly strong and catastrophic failures are almost unheard of, except after crash damage. There was a frame testing video floating around last year and the company testing their carbon frames said the most common cause of frame failure is from people driving cars into their garage and forgetting that their bike is still on the roof rack. These people normally send the bike back under warranty and say the frame has 'broken' at the headset. The failure cause is easy to spot because of the way the fibre tears when the frame fails at the headset. It would be much more enlightening if you could post up the photos you have of your broken frame. That way we could see exactly where the failure is and that may throw more light onto the likely cause, in your case.

If it clearly is a manufacturing fault, Boardman's after care service is exceptional and I am sure a time restriction on claims would be waived.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • paulvinten
    paulvinten Posts: 1
    edited June 2014
    From the sounds of it, this exact thing happened to me recently with the following results: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/u1uyp63jkvlu ... 20injuries

I had the carbon pro bike at a cost of £1000 bought in spring 2010.

I was riding along coming off a roundabout and applied my brakes to slow down as a pedestrian crossing about 50m in front of me had gone red. Next thing I know I'm on the tarmac scrambling to get out of the road with about half a dozen people around me telling me not to move.

I can 100% say that I've never even so much as bumped a curb with this bike, and it's got less than 2500 miles on it...

It's currently with independent investigators into such things, and Halfords/ Boardman haven't had chance to examine it (although they are aware of the incident).

One thing that I have been told, however, is that the bladder being left in shouldn't make any difference and isn't considered a problem.

Incidently, this guy seems to have had the exact same failure as well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beLF0vFwh58
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,584
    strewth that's nasty, one of my nightmares is steerer failure, the one on youtube looks like it snapped in the same place

OP - can you post pics of the failure?
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Hi did Boardman sort it out ? I have just sent back a 9.8TT frame as the alloy in the bottom push fit bracket has some large corrosion holes in, its only 2 yrs old and has a 3yr on warranty on the frame. Its only done 500-600miles and only is ridden in the dry summer conditions. I thought it was an open/shut case, after all it should happen but no they are refusing to replace it as the tube doesn't effect the frame structure !!!!!!

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
  • Hi, I had a carbon front fork failure on my Boardman Hyrbid Team in June this year. I rode it less than 500 miles and not strenuously. I also had no crashes, bumps etc. Always driven on clear roads o work and on sportives. Bike was 2 and 1/2 years old when the forks failed.

I was cycling uphill around a roundabout when the forks gave way and, like the main post, I was left sprawled in the road quickly scrambling to get out of the way of cars.

Halfords were initially great but an independent assesor was appointed by Boardman who eventually, after months of chasing them, told me that the failure was due to something getting caught in the spokes.

I would be grateful for your opinion here given that there was no damage to the wheel. One of the spokes was slightly bent but I cannot remember this being the case before i sent it to the assessor.

I'm at a loss now. I have paid £850 for the bike and now do not have a fit for purpose bike.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    You need experts in Consumer Law, these cases are past fettling a la Workshop.
    Any pictures of these bikes in their pomp before the disaster movie script kicked in?
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    If its a design or manufacturing defect then the warranty offered by the manufacturer doesn't really apply as consumer law trumps the warranty. In any case the claim is always against the retailer. In all these situations you need a personal injury lawyer to investigate your claim assuming it caused an injury.

I've had a 2009 team carbon and use it regularly - its been a truly great bike. Never the less I will be stripping it at the weekend to look
  • dilatory
    dilatory Posts: 565
    Why is there suddenly loads of new accounts in this thread?
  • holiver
    holiver Posts: 729
    The power of Internet search engines!

Looks and sounds like there have been some truly nasty injuries. Hope everyone recovers perfectly.