At which point do you decide..

rhysyd
rhysyd Posts: 141
edited January 2015 in Road general
..its time the shave the legs for the first time?

Comments

• JackPozzi
    JackPozzi Posts: 1,191
    First time ever or first time after a winter of growth?

My 1st time ever was when I decided to get serious about racing and entered my first open time trial.

1st time of the year is normally when I get to Majorca for a training camp/holiday. Much better to clog up the hotel shower than my own!
  • rhysyd
    JackPozzi wrote:
    First time ever or first time after a winter of growth?

My 1st time ever was when I decided to get serious about racing and entered my first open time trial.

1st time of the year is normally when I get to Majorca for a training camp/holiday. Much better to clog up the hotel shower than my own!

I don't think I could take the stick in work when i'm wearing shorts on the building site!
  • JackPozzi
    JackPozzi Posts: 1,191
    I work in a bus garage so do get a fair amount of stick rocking up to the clock machine in lycra with shiny legs, equally though there's a certain amount of friendly stick from the cycling fraternity for yeti legs so I was never going to win!
  • rhysyd
    JackPozzi wrote:
    I work in a bus garage so do get a fair amount of stick rocking up to the clock machine in lycra with shiny legs, equally though there's a certain amount of friendly stick from the cycling fraternity for yeti legs so I was never going to win!

Hmm maybe meet in the middle and just a short 'trim'?
  • When you're fit enough not to be overtaken by someone with unshaven legs
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    when I get divorced, as shaving them will cause that!
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    When you get fed up with pulling hairs out each time you put warmers on or take them off, and after the first time you've had to pull the hairs out of gravel rash in order to clean it up.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • I've had plenty of accidents before, and had to pull plenty of hairs out of wounds, which doesn't bother me too much. I don't think i'll ever shave my legs really to be honest, as I have no dreams of seriously racing or anything.
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    When I saw the hair sticking out of my tights and gagged
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    What happens when you do when you go on holiday wearing shorts or when you go swimming? Do you get funny looks? Shaved legs might be acceptable when near a bike but all those other times when you're wearing shorts in public?
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,685
    ben@31 wrote:
    What happens when you do when you go on holiday wearing shorts or when you go swimming? Do you get funny looks? Shaved legs might be acceptable when near a bike but all those other times when you're wearing shorts in public?
    Proper cycling tan lines aren't great when you go swimming either (mine seem to be pretty permanent now) - unless they are recognised as such by another cyclist. But best just to get over it and do whatever you want to do, for whatever reason.
  • An old clubmate of mine once told me about a 'rule' that he'd heard that you shouldn't shave your legs until you've ridden at 25mph (24mins for a 10TT or 60min for a 25) which shows you're a racing cyclist.

I shaved my legs for the first (and only) time ahead of an evening race and an open 25 the next day where I happened to beat the hour for the first time.

I do like the look of them but can't be bothered with the upkeep, even when using an electronic shaver! I've never had any 'stick' for not having shaved legs even though I'm often surrounded by them!
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Beyond me why anyone would bother. I think some road bike riders just do it cause they like it and any excuse sets them going ;)

Mountain bikers are a lot more likely to fall off and get gravel rash but hardly any shave their legs :)
  • I do it because I think it looks so much better. You have these smooth, skin-tight clothes but then go against that with hairy legs. My legs are hairier than most of the people who I ride with who don't shave their legs - If you don't have much leg hair it can look OK but when you look like bigfoot it doesn't look good. I let it grow over the winter though, leg hair poking through my bib tights is a grim sight!

Saying that, if you're bothered about what people say when you're wearing shorts in hot weather, or swimming etc, then don't do it. You really should be confident enough to just smile at them and not let it bother you if somebody does say something.
  • Normally don't shave (or wax) until mid March but off to Newport Velodrome this Wednesday for my first ever track session. Tuesday evening will be spent in the shower with a tube of Veet for men and disparaging looks from my lovely wife (who is, quite frankly, jealous of my guns!).
  • w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    Shave all year, twice a week in the shower.
    Missus still thinks it looks strange, but secretly I think she likes them!
    I started shaving when I felt good enough to ride and keep up with my clubs A group.