A stranded idiot

secretsam
secretsam Posts: 5,098
edited January 2015 in Commuting chat
So, Saturday morning, needed to take commuter down to London to leave it at the station. Can't take proper bikes on the train in the week.

Weather looked OK so I thought I'd cycle. 40 miles or so, no bother. Bike's been doing turbo duties for months, decided to whip it off, gave it a quick once over and away we go. Snowing slightly but am sure it will stop soon... :evil:

In the middle of nowhere, snow pelting down, rear mech jams. Why? Chain too short for the gear combination selected. Bum. Hop off bike, get out chain tool, undo chain...then count the spokes that the rear mech has taken out (9).

Bum again. Rear mech bent as well. Triple bum.

Ring home for an emergency pick up (13 miles away from home at this stage). Panic. Stand outside in freezing cold in porch of (shut) church for an hour. Book bike in for repairs whilst I wait.

The moral of the story? 1. I am an idiot. 2. And an incompetent mechanic. 3. And I should prepare better.

PS: bright and sunny here now.

It's just a hill. Get over it.

Comments

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    That sucks but why would you be running such a short chain?
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,776
    This is why you should size your chain for big rings front and back.
    Lesson learned.
    Hopefully.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    PBlakeney wrote:
    This is why you should size your chain for big rings front and back.
    Lesson learned.
    Expensively

Fixed that for you...sigh...

#ITB: I ran a short chain because "I am an idiot" :roll:

It's just a hill. Get over it.