TDF stage 12

markyone
markyone Posts: 1,119
edited July 2015 in Pro race
Help, I am on holiday in the south of france when the tour is on and I am hoping to get to see part of stage 12 16th of july.
What I am asking is, do anyone know where the actual route is going to go from Lannemezan / Plateau de Beilleom as I am staying in argeles sur mer
and want to drive to see part of it.
I don't want to see the start or finish as it will be to busy so I am looking for a small village it may pass through and not to far a drive away.
Colnago c60 Eps super record 11
Pinarello F8 with sram etap

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,149
    edited January 2015
    My family used to go on our holidays to Argeles sur Mer for about eight years. I imagine it's changed a lot since the late 70s/early 80s.

As for the route, we don't usually get to see a detailed map until May/June. But you know the mountains so have a guess on google maps and you're unlikely to be far wrong.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Nearer the date, there'll be a detailed route map and expected timings, plus the route for service vehicles (may be different). You can time your day around the early expected arrival times in the various spots. In 2013, we found a village near Gap and arrived a couple of hours beforehand and soaked up the atmosphere. On the way we were tooting and waving at the service vehicles - great fun for the kids :wink:
    All the gear, but no idea...
  • markyone
    Thanks guys I will look out for the more detailed route.
    I was looking at foix but not sure if its on the route or nearby.
  • Based on the profile the route goes south from Massat on the D18 to the Port de Lers. It looks unlikely to go past Foix from the Col de la Core, more likely to be the D618. We stopped in Massat after the Mur de Peguere in 2012 and it was a typical mountain village. Quite difficult for off-race-route access though.
  • markyone
    Trying to work it out on google maps,looks like a 3 hour drive,but should be worth it.
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    No need to wait for mountain stages. The profile and limited amount of roads make the route clear. The route goes Eastwards, so the last part of the stage will be closest to you. As Ellerslierd says it follows the D18, D15 and D8 from Massat over the Col de Lers, and down to the outskirts of Tarascon. Then the N20 to Les Cabannes, the start of the climb to Plateau de Beille, D522. As it's a mountain stage watching on a climb is the most interesting, and the Plateau de Beille makes most sense considering where you're driving from. The climb is 15 km long, so not all of it will be unbearably crowded. If you prefer to be in a village, Les Cabannes or Tarascon could be good choices, with the shortest drive from Argeles-s-Mer
  • markyone
    FJS wrote:
    No need to wait for mountain stages. The profile and limited amount of roads make the route clear. The route goes Eastwards, so the last part of the stage will be closest to you. As Ellerslierd says it follows the D18, D15 and D8 from Massat over the Col de Lers, and down to the outskirts of Tarascon. Then the N20 to Les Cabannes, the start of the climb to Plateau de Beille, D522. As it's a mountain stage watching on a climb is the most interesting, and the Plateau de Beille makes most sense considering where you're driving from. The climb is 15 km long, so not all of it will be unbearably crowded. If you prefer to be in a village, Les Cabannes or Tarascon could be good choices, with the shortest drive from Argeles-s-Mer
    Great info,not really need to be in a village as long I get a good view,even the wife wants to come.
  • markyone
    Anymore info and input would be great thanks
  • markyone
    Still struggling to find a suitable place to watch stage 12 where I can park on the side of the road if that's possible.
    Any input would be great.
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    Is this a Spoiler ?
    You're a bit early.
  • MrT
    MrT Posts: 260
    Going To be in les Cabannes for that stage and ride up Beille very early.....it will be chocked for most of the 15 km believe me...I rode up in 2012....people up there 3-4 days before hand. Tarascon isn't a bad small town..you'll easily find a decent cafe to watch the last bit on TV....they will be coming down the Vicdessous valley at pace and then a roundabout and straight down the road to Ax Les Thermes. If it's a 3 hour drive from where you are plan your route and set off v early.....as although it's at the end of the stage they will start to close roads mid day ish.
  • wasp707
    wasp707 Posts: 116
    markyone, have you thought about seeing stage 13 from Muret to Rodez? It would be a shorter drive and probably much quieter than heading over to stage 12.
    If you do go to stage 12 I would suggest parking east of the bottom of the Plateau de Beille and walking up the climb a kilometre or two. Whatever you do, have a great time.
  • markyone
    markyone, have you thought about seeing stage 13 from Muret to Rodez? It would be a shorter drive and probably much quieter than heading over to stage 12.
    If you do go to stage 12 I would suggest parking east of the bottom of the Plateau de Beille and walking up the climb a kilometre or two. Whatever you do, have a great time.
    thanks for the info I did not know about stage 13 I will check it out cheers