Locked disc brake

earth
earth Posts: 934
edited January 2015 in Workshop
I am using SRAM BB5 disc brakes on the commuter bike. When I got it, about this time last year, I had a period where the front disc brake would not release after I used it. I had to fully squeeze the lever again before it would release. The problem went away but this morning it returned except it's worse. I can't even release it by squeezing the lever. I have to manipulate the caliper by hand. I stopped using the front brake this morning once I noticed what was happening. Before Christmas I recently had it re-cabled because all the cables were too long and rubbed into the fork. Shifting and braking, when it works, is noticeably easier so I don't think the re-cabling has caused this.

I'm wondering if it could be cold weather. Has anyone else experienced this?

More importantly how can these be sold with flaws like this? I first thought if manufacturers wanted to push disc brakes they should have used examples that worked properly rather than the cheapest or risk them getting a bad rep. Perhaps the thinking was more like sell crap ones and tell people to upgrade, thereby selling the product twice. But I am not falling for that. I am not about to upgrade to BB7s or TRP Spyres in the hope they might be better. I am more interested in taking this up with the manufacturer.

Comments

• meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Well BB5 is older than the hills. What happens when you disconnect the cable from the arm? If the arm returns, the issue is with the cable. It's possible it has frozen up (I had that with some MTB V-brakes once - it was pretty cold though) and I had it all the time with cable gear shifting.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    99% certain this is due to cables i.e. poor install / dirt and water even though BB5 isn't a great brake. e.g. If you've been riding lots in the wet and storing the bike in sub-zero conditions, then it would happen with any brake.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Seized cable in the housing or water in the caliper has frozen, take your pick but the caliper is not at fault so stop blaming it. This is a simple maintained issue.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • andrew_s
    andrew_s Posts: 2,511
    Bring the bike indoors rather that leave it in the shed?
  • Monty Dog wrote:
    99% certain this is due to cables i.e. poor install / dirt and water even though BB5 isn't a great brake. e.g. If you've been riding lots in the wet and storing the bike in sub-zero conditions, then it would happen with any brake.

+1