Idiot Landscapers - Road rage

Comments

• 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    Or you could, I dunno, go to the police? Looks like assault to me, maybe ABH and dangerous driving.
  • NeXXus
    NeXXus Posts: 854
    Don't overlook the terrible example cycling.
    And the people bowed and prayed, to the neon god they made.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Poor cycling maybe, but no justification for what followed...
  • TheHound
    TheHound Posts: 284
    Pretty dumbass cycling really. But still no need to kick off like that.
    Bianchi Intenso Athena
    Handbuilt Wheels by dcrwheels.co.uk
    Fizik Cyrano R3 Handlebars
    Selle Italia SLR Kit Carbonio Flow saddle
    Deda Superleggero seatpost
  • I despair at this stuff, but never cease to watch it...
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,876
    Essex police want the cyclist to speak to them - probably so charges can be pressed and the moron driver banned.
  • People who are that wound up in life really need to have something done to give them help, before poor other people have the same reaction. It would be interesting to see what the outcome of this all is. I wonder if he runs his own company, or whether he's an employee. He'd be fired for acting like this while in a company vehicle if he was my employee, and I'd be taking compensation out of his wages for the cyclist and I would be seeking damages for tarnishing the company name. I wonder what knock on effect this has had on the company.
  • imposter2.0
    Apparently, before this guy took up landscaping, he used to drive for a caravan delivery company in the Forest of Dean...
  • Is it his own company then?
  • imposter2.0
    Is it his own company then?

Sorry - if you were asking me that, I was not being serious. It was a reference to the last big thread we had on this sort of thing...
  • Imposter wrote:
    Is it his own company then?

Sorry - if you were asking me that, I was not being serious. It was a reference to the last big thread we had on this sort of thing...

Ah ok,I must have missed that thread, whatever it is.
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    People who are that wound up in life really need to have something done to give them help, before poor other people have the same reaction. It would be interesting to see what the outcome of this all is. I wonder if he runs his own company, or whether he's an employee. He'd be fired for acting like this while in a company vehicle if he was my employee, and I'd be taking compensation out of his wages for the cyclist and I would be seeking damages for tarnishing the company name. I wonder what knock on effect this has had on the company.

but it never ceases to amaze me both as a cyclist and a driver as Ive encountered it in both situations,how often that you get people driving round in company vans/trucks like that.

who arent just absent mindedly dangerous drivers, but are then willing to act and drive willfully dangerous towards you, and yet dont seem to realise, everything they are doing right then and there is being linked back to their employer or company, and you are only ever going to form very negative opinions about them, and then tell all your friends, who tell all theirs etc etc etc.

I just cant believe the cyclist didnt automatically go to the police in the first place with that, being forced/knocked off is bad enough, having the driver then leap out and assault you like that. or even if the cyclist didnt, how come none of the bystanders called the boys in blue out.
  • neal1984
    neal1984 Posts: 240
    This is around the corner from my house (this is by Emerson Part station in Hornchurch. It's a pretty busy narrow road which narrows further over the railway bridge they end up on. It's not the best place for the van driver to over take or the cyclist to undertake. Regardless that guy is a thug and I hope he is found.

Life is like riding a bicycle: you don't fall off unless you stop pedaling.

Scott Foil Team Issue HMX Di2
    Boardman Team Carbon LTD
  • didn't help himself by riding in the gutter as though the double yellows mark a cycle lane.
    Even the bin van cut him up...
  • zak3737
    zak3737 Posts: 370
    Yep, I'd have the boys in blue on that one.......
  • w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    OK not great cycling, I'd even go as far as saying pretty poor awareness from the cyclist but that does not excuse the van driver using his vehicle as a weapon.
    Some drivers really do seem to forget that cyclists are also parents, children and human beings. A van being driven in to us or cutting us up can cause us real injuries and cause incredibly negative impacts to our families. Being self employed I am all too well aware of how a series accident resulting in a significant period of me not earning money would mean to my family.
  • Imposter wrote:
    Apparently, before this guy took up landscaping, he used to drive for a caravan delivery company in the Forest of Dean...

:wink:

Yes he got fired for that one didn't he!
  • awavey wrote:
    People who are that wound up in life really need to have something done to give them help, before poor other people have the same reaction. It would be interesting to see what the outcome of this all is. I wonder if he runs his own company, or whether he's an employee. He'd be fired for acting like this while in a company vehicle if he was my employee, and I'd be taking compensation out of his wages for the cyclist and I would be seeking damages for tarnishing the company name. I wonder what knock on effect this has had on the company.

but it never ceases to amaze me both as a cyclist and a driver as Ive encountered it in both situations,how often that you get people driving round in company vans/trucks like that.

who arent just absent mindedly dangerous drivers, but are then willing to act and drive willfully dangerous towards you, and yet dont seem to realise, everything they are doing right then and there is being linked back to their employer or company, and you are only ever going to form very negative opinions about them, and then tell all your friends, who tell all theirs etc etc etc.

I just cant believe the cyclist didnt automatically go to the police in the first place with that, being forced/knocked off is bad enough, having the driver then leap out and assault you like that. or even if the cyclist didnt, how come none of the bystanders called the boys in blue out.

It is really surprising. Some people just don't have the mental capacity with deal with 'problems', and certainly can't link the idea of jumping out of their work van which is branded and beating someone up will have consequences down the line. They simply react aggressively. It's a shame, because a lot of people who do that do have some nice sides to them, and can often be as caring about certain people as others.

Oh well, monkeys will be monkeys.
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,216
    Both the lorry and the van did not give him sufficient space when they passed him, however I would not have proceeded to undertake the van coming up to that junction.

The thug in the van obviously thinks cyclists are an annoyance slowing him down and getting in his way, because his journey is more important than anyone else's, and therefore deserves to be taught a lesson and run off the road.

Two actions committed there, dangerous driving/vehicular assault and personal assault, I hope the person who blew their horn did the decent thing and reported the incident to the Police. What is the likelihood that the thug has previous form for this kind of behaviour, ABH, points on his licence for speeding, driving without insurance/tax, been banned for drink driving, you know the type?

If he is not an owner/driver, then like a lot of people who drive company vehicles, they tend to drive aggressively and with disregard for other road users. They don't care if they have an accident because they don't pay for the consequences. If it is his business/vehicle, well then that tells you a lot about the level of his intelligence.
  • NeXXus wrote:
    Don't overlook the terrible example cycling.

The cycling isn't great, but ask why isn't it great? In better circumstances that would be perfectly fine cycling, it's just that we have to deal with morons such as that van driver that we have to cycle in a certain way.
  • DJ58 wrote:
    Two actions committed there, dangerous driving/vehicular assault and personal assault, I hope the person who blew their horn did the decent thing and reported the incident to the Police. What is the likelihood that the thug has previous form for this kind of behaviour, ABH, points on his licence for speeding, driving without insurance/tax, been banned for drink driving, you know the type?

The police and judiciary are very well known for sweeping motoring offences under the carpet. However I would like to think they would take the personal assault much more seriously.
  • Shackster
    Shackster Posts: 257
    A lot of people are criticising the cyclist, and he may well have been better off taking a more confident position in the lane, but then he would no doubt have had the van well and truly up his backside, potentially leading to a similar or worse incident.

The other thing is about the 'undertaking' by the cyclist. This happened moments after the van had overtaken him - it stopped pretty much instantly - all the cyclist actually did was keep moving at his original pace.
    2011 Canyon XC 8.0 (Monza Race Red)
    1996(?) dyna-tech titanium HT; pace RC-35's; Hope Ti Hubs etc etc
    Bianchi Road Bike
  • imposter2.0
    Shackster wrote:
    all the cyclist actually did was keep moving at his original pace.

He probably should have slowed a bit. Imagine the carnage if all any other vehicle ever did was to 'continue at its original pace'..?
  • gozzy
    gozzy Posts: 640
    I think he might get done for having a smashed brake light as well, it looks like he's showing while light there.
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    Possible dangerous driving - but could the cyclist not have stopped when he was being ran off the road? Definitely assault and no justification to twat someone.

Cyclist needs to report the accident - then plod can do the driver for failure to stop and failure to report too.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,608
    Getting some traction. From the BBC news website.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-30846362
  • dave35
    dave35 Posts: 1,124
    Neal1984 wrote:
    This is around the corner from my house (this is by Emerson Part station in Hornchurch. It's a pretty busy narrow road which narrows further over the railway bridge they end up on. It's not the best place for the van driver to over take or the cyclist to undertake. Regardless that guy is a thug and I hope he is found.

Not far from me either(roneo corner) it's a nasty piece of road for cars let alone trying to overtake anyone. Appalling incident-hope the drive gets his comeuppance. Was a silly move trying to undertake by the rider-see the width of the thing he was carrying-no way was he getting up the inside.
  • cswitch
    cswitch Posts: 261
    It doesn't appear to be the best example of riding. However last time I checked there isn't a punishment for crap riding. It certainly isn't being intentionally knocked off and beaten. I hope the driver is taken off the road for a very long time.
  • hipshot
    hipshot Posts: 371
    Helmet/dash cams are an interesing development aren't they? Especially when the go viral.

The absolute sh#tstorm being caused by this is many times worse for the landscaping company than a driver ban/prosecution which could be kept quiet. I don't doubt for a second that there will be a sacking, and probably the termination of trading.

Instant justice perhaps?.