Avanti Blade 1 - too good to be true?

Davecom12
Davecom12 Posts: 3
edited January 2015 in Commuting general
I'm looking for a hybrid bike for commuting. It's only a 3 mile trip on fairly decent roads, but lots of traffic and the need to put a child seat on the back mean that dropped handlebars aren't an option. My other defining factor is budget, I've got a very strict maximum of £250 to spend so even 2nd hand is pretty limited :(

On the other hand I've seen the Avanti Blade 1 on Wiggle http://www.wiggle.co.uk/avanti-blade-1-2014/ it looks too good to be true. I realise it has fairly basic specs but an aluminum frame and cro/moly forks is a real eye catcher, especially as it leaves me a bit of cash to buy some accessories as well!

Does anyone know these bikes? Is the price blinding me to some other limitations?

Model Year: 2014
Frame: ADT 6061 Formtech Alloy
Fork Material: Steel
Fork: Cr-Mo Ahead 1-1/8” Steerer
Steerer: 1 1/8"
Bottle Cage Mounts: Double
Front Derailleur Mount: Band On
Dropouts: Replaceable Rear Derailleur Hanger
Wheel Size: 700c (622)
Wheelset: Weinmann APT-18 Double-wall Alloy 36H with Alloy hubs
Groupset Manufacturer: Shimano
Shifters: Shimano EF51
Front Derailleur: Shimano Altus
Rear Derailleur: Shimano Altus
Brake Type: V-Brake
Brakes: Shimano EF51
Brake Callipers: Alloy Mini V-Brake
Chainset type: Triple
Chainset: Shimano M131 48/38/28T
Chainring Size: 48 Tooth, 38 Tooth, 28 Tooth
Chain: KMC
Bottom Bracket: Sealed Cartridge
Cassette: Shimano HG31 11-30T 8-Speed
Cassette Range: 11-30 Tooth
Handlebars: Alloy Flat Bar 31.8mm
Stem: Alloy Ahead 31.8mm
Seat Post: Alloy Micro Adjust
Saddle: Zero Zelix
Tyres: Kenda Kwick Roller 700 x 28c
Pedals: Supplied with basic flat pedals
Warranty: Lifetime frame warranty, 12 month parts warranty

Comments

• Big_Paul
    Big_Paul Posts: 277
    Pedals will most likely be crap and you'll need to fork out for mudguards possibly better tyres, but that's a good solid workhorse of a bike, Rack and guard mounts are a nice bonus. I know some folk will look down on 8 speed but the consumables are cheap and if you're only doing 6 miles a day, they'll last a long time.

Not bad at all for the money.
    Disc Trucker
    Kona Ute
    Rockrider 8.1
    Evil Resident
    Day 01 Disc
    Viking Derwent Tandem
    Planet X London Road
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    This blows it into the weeds in terms of value for money.
    http://www.decathlon.co.uk/fit-300-flat ... 06479.html
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • alan_sherman
    alan_sherman Posts: 1,157
    Both 'proper' bikes, no frills but capable. The Avanti with V brakes will take larger tyres than the decathlon one. Useful if you plan to ride off road much (tow paths, muddy cycle paths etc).

My wife's giant hybrid is similar, it's alright to ride.
  • Thanks for the replies.Hadn't seen the Decathlon bike before so will take a look at that
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    The carrera option from Halfords is also something to consider

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/hybrid-bikes-and-classic-bikes/carrera-axle-limited-edition-mens-27-5-hybrid-bike-2015#tab2

British Cycling membership will get an extra 10% of the price.
  • The Rookie
    That Carrera is a dog, 7 speed freewheel so an inferior rear wheel, just no!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    ok, missed the 7 speed....doesn't necessarily need to be freewheel though. The decathlon is also probably a freewheel though, having what appears to be only a 6 speed at the back
  • The Rookie
    Thanks, they've seriously despecced the 300 since I last looked at it when it was 8spd.