Slip Sliding Away... (in Aberdeen)

seajays
seajays Posts: 331
edited January 2015 in Commuting chat
"AN ABERDEEN cyclist has criticised Aberdeen City Council by posting a video showing him falling twice on an icy cycle path." http://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/news/lo ... s-1.789024

Not me I hasten to add - but I have my ice spikers so hopefully am running with less likelihood of this happening anyway!
Cannondale CAADX Tiagra 2017
Revolution Courier Race Disc '14
My Strava

Comments

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,300
    But was it you in front of him riding off into the distance without a problem as he had his second fall?
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    I have limited sympathy, given I've been riding for the past three days with spikers in London (well, they needed running in, and it might have snowed... and the forecast says it'll snow from Sunday afternoon to Monday morning all through).
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,750
    This will be why I choose to cycle on the road if it is icy.
    If I choose to ride in the first place.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    Fanny, if you fell once you'd surely try to avoid making the same mistake twice in the same place?

I live in Aberdeen city centre and have yet to miss a day riding to work this winter, although there hasn't been any snow or ice in the city yet, just on the outskirts. Still no real need for ice spikes though.

You can quote me on that when it does finally snow and I inevitably fall on my arse ;)
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • seajays
    seajays Posts: 331
    Well today was definitely very icy... sheet ice all the way in on the cycle path. Ice spikes definitely warranted - no issues - just one or two slight skips on rough frozen ice. Pedestrians walking on the grass verges! Fun! :mrgreen:
    Cannondale CAADX Tiagra 2017
    Revolution Courier Race Disc '14
    My Strava