OT: HTML help for beginner

jonny_trousers
jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
edited January 2015 in Commuting chat
I've successfully used this community for help with non-bike related issues many times in the past and I could do with some help again now.

I'm in the process of teaching myself how to format documents for eBooks and I've hit a wall. I've been going through the processes set out in the book I'm following and all was good until I tried instructing the style sheet to centre paragraphs at times. I've twiddled with the code I was told to input, but I still can't get it to centre the three asterisks as in the screenshot from my text editor below.

Any help offered would be massively appreciated.

Cheers

Screenshot2015-01-14at231050_zps59fdc384.png

Comments

• May be easier if you post it in a code box, so that it can be copied and pasted.
  • Ha! I'll see what I can do, but not only do I not know what a code box is, but because Bikeradar will no longer acknowledge that I have logged in (despite logging in) on my Mac, I'm having to do all my submitting here via my iPhone.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Ha! I'll see what I can do, but not only do I not know what a code box is, but because Bikeradar will no longer acknowledge that I have logged in (despite logging in) on my Mac, I'm having to do all my submitting here via my iPhone.
    cant see that you have mentioned this anywhere so the devs can maybe see what the issue is.

viewtopic.php?f=40033&t=13006375
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    nicklouse wrote:
    Ha! I'll see what I can do, but not only do I not know what a code box is, but because Bikeradar will no longer acknowledge that I have logged in (despite logging in) on my Mac, I'm having to do all my submitting here via my iPhone.
    cant see that you have mentioned this anywhere so the devs can maybe see what the issue is.

If nothing else they can probably help with the HTML query :D
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • nicklouse wrote:

Cheers. I'll log it.
  • Pufftmw
    Pufftmw Posts: 1,941
    You're at least 1 } short it looks? Above P Centered?

I'm not a coder btw
  • Pufftmw wrote:
    You're at least 1 } short it looks? Above P Centered?

I'm not a coder btw

Thanks. That one looks pretty obvious now you mention it. It could be a result of my tinkering and not a problem solver, but I'll give it a shot when I get home. Thanks for your help.
  • ic.
    ic. Posts: 769
    You've not ended the bracket for the p definition. You need } below where you've declared your font-family

Going about it the long way though. Could have just done <p align="center">My Text</p>

Also, the inner span tag isn't required

Happy to help with any other Qs!
    2020 Reilly Spectre - raw titanium
    2020 Merida Reacto Disc Ltd - black on black
    2015 CAAD8 105 - very green - stripped to turbo bike
    2018 Planet X Exocet 2 - grey

The departed:

2017 Cervelo R3 DI2 - sold
    Boardman CX Team - sold
    Cannondale Synapse - broken
    Cube Streamer - stolen
    Boardman Road Comp - stolen
  • IC. wrote:
    You've not ended the bracket for the p definition. You need } below where you've declared your font-family

Going about it the long way though. Could have just done <p align="center">My Text</p>

Thanks IC! Much appreciated!
  • seajays
    seajays Posts: 331
    IC. wrote:

Thanks IC! Much appreciated!

<p align="center"> is deprecated in HTML 4.01, and not valid in HTML5... you should use the CSS for centring as in your original code. The problem was the missing closing bracket on the first "p" definition, and as Jonny says you don't need the inner span tag either.
    Cannondale CAADX Tiagra 2017
    Revolution Courier Race Disc '14
    My Strava