Micro shift.....any experience?

PBo
PBo Posts: 2,493
edited January 2015 in Commuting chat
Cheapo generic crap, or under the radar decent manufacturer?
Sorry, to be clear, sun race manufacture the micro shift shifters...
Cheers!

I'm particularly interested in anyone who uses the shifter

Comments

• I've had Microshift Arsis shifters and mechs, their top-of-the-line.

The carbon shifters lasted a couple of years before the left one broke internally so it wouldn't pull the cable. They're very light and quite cheap, so it's not unexpected (pick any two of the three: light, strong or cheap). Until then they were OK, shifting is quite noisy requiring a more solid push than Shimano, but reliable and accurate. To be honest, when I replaced them with 105 5600, it was a blessed relief.

The mechs, on the other had have been solid as a rock - constant performers and still on the CR1.
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    i found it unbelievably shit when i had it.
  • My only experience was a microshift FD on my Boardman CX. First thing I replaced - the force needed to shift was crazy.
  • My only experience was a microshift FD on my Boardman CX. First thing I replaced - the force needed to shift was crazy.

+1
  • 6wheels
    6wheels Posts: 411
    +2

Spring far too strong.
  • Friend of mine has it fitted to his BTwin road bike. Haven't ridden it for long but it certainly seemed to shift pretty smoothly when I was tuing up the gears for him. :)
  • mudcovered wrote:
    Friend of mine has it fitted to his BTwin road bike. Haven't ridden it for long but it certainly seemed to shift pretty smoothly when I was tuing up the gears for him. :)

Do you also crack walnuts open with one hand as a party piece?
  • mudcovered wrote:
    Friend of mine has it fitted to his BTwin road bike. Haven't ridden it for long but it certainly seemed to shift pretty smoothly when I was tuing up the gears for him. :)

My hands are fairly strong but to be honest the resistance level didn't seem that high. Was pretty much on a par effort wise with Shimano 105 5700.

This was a a relatively new bike (< 6months old) which had microshift shifters and derailleurs.

Mike
  • mudcovered wrote:
    mudcovered wrote:

My hands are fairly strong but to be honest the resistance level didn't seem that high. Was pretty much on a par effort wise with Shimano 105 5700.

This was a a relatively new bike (< 6months old) which had microshift shifters and derailleurs.

Mike

It was paired to a SRAM Apex shifter so maybe the pull ratios are different from the Microshift levers?
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    Thanks everyone....