Norco XFR2 or Ghost Cross 5500

roadie-z
roadie-z Posts: 3
edited January 2015 in Commuting general
I'm looking to buy either one of the subject bikes for commuting to work. The two bikes are at the same price point so it's just a matter of which will work better. I've tried them both but I couldn't tell the difference. The two bikes are similar but the notable differences are that the Ghost 5500 has remote lockout, uses Shimano M445 brake; while the Norco uses Avid Elixir 1 brake, and has internal brake line. They are both 2014 models.

The internal brake line seems to be an interesting feature; for components I can change down the road, but this I can't; it seems to make it easier to transport the bike on car bike racks and also easier for to be clamped on home bike repair stands. For the Ghost bike, I need to clamp on the seatpost. But would the openings on the tube make it prone to collect water inside the tube?

I'm hoping to get some opinion about which bike is better (performance, reliability, durability, fun to ride, suitability for commuting, etc) based on the design and components. Below are the details of the two bikes, thanks for your help.

Norco XFR 2
Frame: Double-butted 7005-aluminum
Fork: SR Suntour NRX, 75mm-travel w/lockout
Rims/Wheels: Aluminum
Hubs : SRAM 306 disc
Spokes: Stainless-steel
Tires: Schwalbe Smart Sam, 700 x 40c
Crankset: SRAM S650
Chainrings: 48/36/26
Front Derailleur: Shimano Acera
Rear Derailleur: SRAM X-5
Rear Cogs: SRAM, 9-speed: 11-32
Shifters: SRAM X-5
Handlebars: Norco aluminum riser
Tape/Grips: X-Over Dual Density
Stem: Norco
Brake Levers: Avid Elixir 1, hydraulic
Brakes: Avid Elixir 1 hydraulic-disc w/6-inch rotors
Pedals: Aluminum platform
Saddle: Norco Urban
Seatpost: Norco

Ghost Cross 5500
Frame: Ghost 7005 DB aluminum
Fork: RST Neon RL
Stem: Ghost light AS-DC1 31.8mm
Seatpost: Ghost light SP DC
Handlebars: Ghost Low Rizer light 31.8mm
Grips/Tape: Ghost
Brakes: Shimano M445 (hydraulic disc)
Brake Levers: Shimano M445 Disc
Shifters: Shimano Deore SL
Derailleur (Front): Shimano Deore
Derailleur (Rear): Shimano XT
Crank + Rings: Shimano FCT 551 48-36-26T
Bottom Bracket: Shimano BB-51 BSA
Pedals: Ghost Flats
Hub (Front): Shimano 435 Disc
Hub (Rear): Shimano 435 Disc
Cassette: Shimano Deore 10-speed 11-36T
Spokes: DT Industry
Rims: Alex ACE 18
Tires: Schwalbe Smart Sam 700 x 40
Collar: QR seat collar

Comments

• Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    For Commuting? unless you're going off-road: neither.

You do not need front suspension on a commuting bike unless you want to properly rough up the ride. You need to specify what distance you ride, what the ride is like, how often, will you use the same bike for leisure rides and what rides would they be...

Lots more than "which bike do you prefer based on no qualifying data"
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Just curious, what made you think I haven't done my research based on my distance, the terrain, and other use of the bike before coming to the conclusion between these two bikes? Just wanted to know, if you don't mind.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Experience based on lots of previous threads asking the same question :) (and the fact that you didn't mention that)
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Your username clash with the bikes you suggest?

You ask which will work better, in which case we need the better for what anyway? I wouldn't take either down the Dowhill track at Fort Bill, nor into the TdF, somewhere in between they work OK, but its a fairly narrow window!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.