Did you know that carrying ID in Mallorca is mandatory?

tramuntanacycling
tramuntanacycling Posts: 67
edited January 2015 in Tour & expedition
So to avoid a fine it's best to carry some form of photographic ID either out on the bike or out on the town, keep it with you.

I would go further and recommend also carrying:
    European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) Some cash in Euros Your accommodation address (you may get lost!)

I hope this info is helpful. This law is not regularly enforced, but it is there and should you have an accident or need help, it will help smooth everything in the path.

Comments

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    I was in Barcelona a month ago and had a photocopy of my passport with me and the original in the safe at the hotel, the need for photo ID was brought in after the Madrid bombings IIRC.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    redvee wrote:
    ... the need for photo ID was brought in after the Madrid bombings IIRC.

I think that in most of mainland Europe the police will ask to see your ID as a matter of routine, and not having it will at the least make things more complicated. It's a real pain that when they wanted to introduce ID cards a few years ago they made it unnecessarily complicated and expensive: as a non-driver I'd find a mini-passport substitute really useful, and I'd have happily paid a few quid for one.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Was chatting in the boarding queue to a Spanish girl who was using her ID card to travel with and it seemed a lot less hassle than carrying a passport.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    redvee wrote:
    Was chatting in the boarding queue to a Spanish girl who was using her ID card to travel with and it seemed a lot less hassle than carrying a passport.
    You can only use them for travel within the EU though. Not sure they're less hassle, just cheaper than a passport