marcg868
marcg868 Posts: 116
edited January 2015 in Road beginners
Well after 10 years of mountain biking and two years of lusting after a Road bikes I finally took the plunge and spent my birthday money on a Btwin Triban 300. Got some new kit and I'm ready to go. Just need a Road specific helmet and gloves, but my mountain bike ones will have to do till pay day (26th).

Never rode a Road bike before and not rode my mtb since October due to house maintenance and work commitments. But got a weeks annual leave so looking to get out. Any tips on length of my first ride as I'm quite nervous and should I hit a bighill to start off or stay small.

Fitness levels aren't the best, 15 miles is my maximum on mtb at peak fitness.

Best time to go out? Tips appreciated.

Comments

• welcome to the dark side but remember you can do both! (not at the same time).

The roady will be mega twitchy when you first ride it. Try what ever distance you want but i wojld probably go sort first maybe 15 miles, then up it over the course of the week, by a couple of miles! see how you do.
  • w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    Lots of ex mtb's on here, I'm one also. I still go off road but not nearly as much.
    I found my body took a little bit of adaptation, riding mtb's I very rarely had sore under carriage nor a tired back. Took a week or two to get used to it.
    The twitchy ness of a road bike you'll probably adjust to very quickly.
    Go out after the rush hour traffic has gone. Don't expect to fly up hills because your on a road bike and don't be discouraged by how hard hills are, it's the same for us all. Plan your ride/route before hand, most of all enjoy it, stay chilled and don't get upset if another roadie doesn't say hi! Also ensure you have your back up kit ready, punctures happen more at this time of year, ensure you're comfortable fixing on the roadside.
  • marcg868
    Planned a short route of 10 miles tomorrow. Back roads at first, a 2 mile section of nsl country road, very straight and open with a few inclines. Then a nice country road downhill. Currently have flat pedals but hope to get some proper clipped in pedals in the next fortnight.
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,517
    Padded shorts if you don't already have them.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    If you take it easy you will be able to do double your current off road distances. Things to watch for are bike set up, getting used to the balance, avoid all pot holes etc. and padded shorts / tights will be a great help.

When the drier weather comes your winter road fitness will really help your mountain biking.
  • marcg868
    Got some Bib tights (padded ) base layer from decathlon and a Endura Jersey and jacket from leisure lakes. Just hoping for some sunshine. Currently sleeting but if the snow stays away I'm gonna go out for an hour when the traffic dies down. Lights ready. Aiming for five miles this evening then longer 10 miles tomorrow, short ride Thursday, Beer night Friday and early morning two hour ride Sunday. All weather dependent.

Roll on spring.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    welcome to the dark side but remember you can do both! (not at the same time).

The roady will be mega twitchy when you first ride it. Try what ever distance you want but i wojld probably go sort first maybe 15 miles, then up it over the course of the week, by a couple of miles! see how you do.

*cough* CX *cough* :P
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter