Cadence, so basically i don't have to ride on the
Biggest rear sprocket and have more options
Whilst in the 53!
Many thanks !!!
Joseph

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    I've read this a few times, but I'm not sure I understand your question. Assuming you are saying that you are overgeared on a 53 + 12-25, then just put a 50t on the front.
  • compact chainset with a 50t your current cassett would be a good choice. Or maybe a 28/11 cassett but even with 11 speed they are not that close ratio'ed especcially if you are use to the 25/12
  • NeXXus
    NeXXus Posts: 854
    Get fitter?
    And the people bowed and prayed, to the neon god they made.
  • maryka
    maryka Posts: 748
    Get a 50T and also an 11-23, that will give you 50x11 plus let you stay in the big ring for any climbs (thinking of Hog Hill where I always ride in the big ring up the hill unless it's a hooling headwind). Shifting up and down the chainrings every lap is a pain for that kind of circuit. Can't think of any other circuit I've ridden where I'd want to be in anything but the big ring all the time, but maybe there are bigger hills where you are?
  • NeXXus wrote:
    Get fitter?
    No problem with fitness just some people are mashers and some spin!
  • maryka wrote:
    Get a 50T and also an 11-23, that will give you 50x11 plus let you stay in the big ring for any climbs (thinking of Hog Hill where I always ride in the big ring up the hill unless it's a hooling headwind). Shifting up and down the chainrings every lap is a pain for that kind of circuit. Can't think of any other circuit I've ridden where I'd want to be in anything but the big ring all the time, but maybe there are bigger hills where you are?
    Thanks for advice, yes I feel I need a lower gear to recover in the 53 sometimes, so would a 12/27 help?
    Don't really wat to change my chainset, many thanks J
  • maryka
    maryka Posts: 748
    Have a play with this http://sheldonbrown.com/gears/ and see what you get when you plug in various rings and cogs, and see what speed you get for 90 or 100rpm (or however you want to compare them). A 12-27 will give you a 24T as your next gear up, so the 53x24 might be enough for what you want. Also you can get a 52T ring maybe?
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    maryka wrote:
    Thanks for advice, yes I feel I need a lower gear to recover in the 53 sometimes, so would a 12/27 help?

In what kind of 'flat' crit would you ever need a 27..??

In any case, 50t 130bcd rings are available, so no need for a new chainset.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    how about change down to the 39T ring if you really like spinning.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    People use the small ring in crits ??
  • It sounds a bit unusual- why not just use the 39t inner? Otherwise get a 50t outer. You really don't want to be increasing your gear range on the cassette- you want it as close as possible so you can change to a gear that feels comfortable at slight changes of speed. When you're putting the power down you want to be able to spin at the cadence you like best.

I personally rock a 12-23t cassette when I'm racing (only 8spd, otherwise would like to stretch to 11-23) and only have a compact which gets me by fine.
  • whoof
    whoof Posts: 756
    On a flat crit I used to used 12/21 and was never a gear masher
    A 700c wheel has a circumference of about 2.1 m or 0.0021 km. In a gear of 53/25 this is a ratio of 2.12.
    If you pedaled at 120 rpm then you would be going at 0.0021*2.12*120*60= 32 kph or 20 mph. This seems very slow for a crit. If you are slowing down for the corners this could be because you are sitting a bit far back in the bunch. Move up and you can go around them at a fair speed with those further back will start to brake and then have to accelerate.
  • Blimey, i've never gone up Hog Hill in the big ring.
    Is there a problem with your front mech
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    Even the best front mech can be thrown if you shift down from big to small while applying plenty of force. I think HH in the big ring would be where the race is going some, if not then yes, spin it out in the 42/23 ;)
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • olake92
    olake92 Posts: 182
    How much smaller do you need to go? 52/39t x 11-27 is almost 10% smaller in the 52x27. 52x11 is actually a bigger ratio than 53x12. Are you on 10 or 11 speed? 11-27 might be a bit much on 10 speed.
    I'm on Twitter! Follow @olake92 for updates on my racing, my team's performance and some generic tweets.
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    maryka wrote:

Recover? In a flat crit? Need a 27? Think i'll give up TTing and go back to crit racing if it's getting that easy!