Cutting thru the hype...are breathable jackets worth it

robbroo
robbroo Posts: 42
edited January 2015 in MTB general
Plans for next t year include 4 or 5 long distance mob trips and a week in the Alps. I need a new outer shell and I am not sure what the best solution is so help please!!!

I already have some good quality breathable jackets for walking etc but for cycling I have always been quite happy with a straightforward waterproof she'll. Wind proofing seems to be more important. The paramo kit seems quite good and I could be persuaded to buy gore bike wear but would welcome some input on wether breath ability is really worth it.

thanks
Robbroo

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Why does it need to be bike specific? I don't bother.
  • robbroo
    It doesn't except my other jackets are much too loose to work on the bike over a few hours
    Robbroo
  • Chunkers1980
    Why? Loose makes them better breathers.
  • schmako
    schmako Posts: 1,982
    Got a few berghaus shells, usually have one of them in the bag whenever i'm out. Take the paclite one biking most often as it takes up no room in the bag if not needed.

Don't find I get sweaty with it on either, when its cold I have a long sleeve base layer, fleece and the shell. When I warm up I take off the fleece. Seems to do the job in most conditions for me anyway.
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063

I have a Gore Fusion Cosmo (not the kind of jacket the OP is looking for, but...) and the bike specific cut is really so much better than my general walking stuff when on my bike. Arms long enough when reaching for the bars, thumb holes to keep your sleeves where they should be and tucked inside your gloves, shorter at the front so it doesn't bunch, longer in the back so that you stay covered when bent forward and an extra bit to drop over your butt. It's even got a small glasses wipe tethered inside one of the chest pockets. All small details but they add up to quite a difference. It makes the walking jackets I was wearing seem lacking.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    I prefer a windproof softshell jacket with a lightweight waterproof stuffed in the rucsack for when the rain gets a bit persistent. I hate the boil in the bag feel from a waterproof jacket and the constant rustling, prefer to get a bit damp at the seams but be warm.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • robbroo
    stubs wrote:
    I prefer a windproof softshell jacket with a lightweight waterproof stuffed in the rucsack for when the rain gets a bit persistent. I hate the boil in the bag feel from a waterproof jacket and the constant rustling, prefer to get a bit damp at the seams but be warm.

This describes where my head is at the moment......I think a wind proof will be better and then a paclight or similar might be the best approach.....

Angus I agree with the benefits of bike specific...

Any other views.?
    Robbroo
  • I just use my merra peak jacket. Doesn't pack down that well but the mountain climbing cut and features make up for it.
    '14 Whyte T129s-*DEAD*
    OnOne Codeine 29er
  • Chunkers1980

I have a Gore Fusion Cosmo (not the kind of jacket the OP is looking for, but...) and the bike specific cut is really so much better than my general walking stuff when on my bike. Arms long enough when reaching for the bars, thumb holes to keep your sleeves where they should be and tucked inside your gloves, shorter at the front so it doesn't bunch, longer in the back so that you stay covered when bent forward and an extra bit to drop over your butt. It's even got a small glasses wipe tethered inside one of the chest pockets. All small details but they add up to quite a difference. It makes the walking jackets I was wearing seem lacking.

Fair enough. None of that matters to me though
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    I do mountain and road biking and would agree with Angus. Non cycling jackets tend not to be close fitting enough making you into a huge wind break and they are often too short in the arms / back. That does not mean cycling jackets are really tight. It just depends what you want. I use a Gore Contest jacket which works well for me. Check the sales for reductions.
  • I got a good berghaus asgard jacket. Designed with Leo Houlding for a serious climbing expedition. It is a perfect fit for me but being a climbing fit the arms can be put above the head without the hem riding up. This means perfect for cycling. It is a very snug fit with articulation in the arms and diamond panels in the armpits which is how it can allow you to stretch without it riding up I think.
    It's a very light and packable jacket if in your bag. It is a truly tough fabric but being goretex pro with very minimal features, i.e. thepockets use wicking mesh instead of 2 layers of fabric, all makes it more breathable. No good having a great breathable fabric if you're tripling the layers sweat has to pass through.
    Anyway, my point is that there's a high degree of features in a good climbing jacket that can make them good on a bike. I've looked at cycling jackets and I've yet to see one that significantly performs better than my shell on a bike. Any out there would be out of my price range too. This cag of mine cost £280 3 years or so ago. Not planning on spending anything close to that for a few years at least.

Might get a bike windproof though. My Montane lightspeed is too baggy for the bike. Windproof is probably better for anything but proper rain, drizzle is ok in a windproof I think.
  • sofaboy73
    sofaboy73 Posts: 574
    personal i prefer a soft shell for warmth windproof-ness and some water resistance. if the rain gets heavy i then have a very lighweight shell i put over the top http://www.montane.co.uk/range/men/shell/minimus-jacket

works fine for a few hours, but eventually get wet, however a couple of hours in a normal cycling jacket and i'd be soaked from the sweat anyhow.
  • wmorgs
    wmorgs Posts: 113
    I use one of these:
    http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/regatta-cer ... et-p305243
    I use a size bigger so the cuffs and rear dont rise much.
    Even in but the heavest rain its stayed dry for me and dont sweat more than normal.
    And normally wear:
    http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/hi-gear-reg ... ve-p205134
    Underneath even if temp hover just above freezing i feel warm.