j03_zpse40b3721.jpg

For distance:

j04_zps5c9b0a85.jpg

For mountains:

j05_zps5be71e62.jpg

Comments

• Any toe overlap with that MTBike? :wink:
    left the forum March 2023
  • Do you ride the flat bike up hills, and likewise do you ride the hill bike on the flat? What about the distance bike, at what distance do you stop riding the flat/hill bikes? :wink:
    “Faster, Faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.” Hunter S Thompson
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    Nice bikes, how about some spec details.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,870
    Nice bikes, how about some spec details.

Covers it perfectly
  • That Serotta is lovely.

SPECS!
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,447
    Nice collection!
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,954
    You need some colour in your life.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Are you the guy who I often see in Richmond Park, riding with a chap on a Venge, also on very deep section wheels? Very nice bikes
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,324
    Very nice, but as above more info would be good. Also I think you should splash out on some colour film for your camera. And what do you use for descending?
  • The Serotta is a lovely looking bike, and the climbing bike looks good too with the little golden flashes.

The frame for the 'flat' bike looks interesting- it sort of reminds me of BMC frames with the triangle before the seat tube, but then there's another one behind it too. Not sure if I like that (just a bit too much going on in one place) but would like to read into it a bit more- but again no idea what it is...
    I'm really not a fan of those deep wheels unfortunately (100mm)- I'm not sure I'd even put that front wheel on a TT machine...
    But as long as you like them then that's all that really matters.
  • bencolem
    bencolem Posts: 463
    Thanks for the feedback - I love bikes! Think the pictures have come out a bit sepia because of the wall colour - the Serotta is definitely poo brown in real life (well Porsche Macademia brown!).

I split my time between Ashbourne, Derbyshire and Savannah, Georgia. There are some great climbs around Ashbourne but it's flat as a pancake for 100 miles in any direction in Savannah. Hence the deep section wheels on the BMC (mainly to try and help me hang onto the back of the fast group ride on Wednesday nights!).

So for specs:

For climbing:
    Cyfac Gothica
    Ultegra shifters and mechs
    Zipp Vuma chainset and ceramic BB
    Sram Red Black cassette
    KMC X10SL chain
    Ciamillo GSL tuned brakeset
    Nokon cables
    DT Swiss 190 ceramic hubs on Reynolds mvt 32ul rims (1005g all-in!)
    Schwalbe Ultremo HT 25mm tubs
    Tune ti skyline skewers
    3T Ltd bar (ergonova) and seatpost, 3T Pro stem (ti bolts)
    Antares carbon saddle
    Think that's about it. Weighs 14.2lbs (not bad for a 57cm!) and I love it - so nice to ride, so stiff and responsive but beautifully supple as well. I was 8 minutes quicker on this up Sa Colobra than using a rented Massi!

For flat:
    BMC SLC01
    I broke my collar bone a few years ago (knocked off a different bike by a car entering a roundabout without looking in Rotherham!) so spent my recovery sanding all the paint off the frameset... It's a stock frameset but it might as well have been custom, the fit it just perfect for me and it's one of those bikes that I'll never sell. It's been through various iterations but now its my fast club ride flat speed bike.
    105 groupset with Easton ceramic BB (used to have EC90 cranks on before they broke...) and Stronglight CT2 rings
    KMC X10SL chain
    3T Team bar, stem, seatpost
    Novatec hubs on Chinese 80mm rims (25mm wide - decent crosswind stability actually!)
    GP4000S II 25mm tyres (finally some Conti rubber with a bit of feel!)

For distance:
    Serotta Ottrott ARO
    One of the very last Serotta's ever built :-( with BB30 and mudguard clearance. It's not the lightest or the fastest but it just feels like riding a Bentley. I love it. I can do 100 miles and still feel fresh on this thing!
    Want it to look classic so:
    Ultegra silver groupset with FSA Gossamer cranks (only polished silver BB30 chainset I can think of!), Stronglight 7075 rings, C-Bear ceramic BB, KMC X10SL chain and Velo Orange brakes
    Ritchey Classic polished aluminium bars, stem, seatpost, Kurve Chameleon saddle
    Velo Orange bottle cages and 35mm fenders, GP4 season 28mm tyres

For mountains:
    Tomac Eli
    First bought in 2004, this was a warranty replacement after the welds on the top tube for the seat tube failed in 2006. Probably ridden it half a dozen times in the last 5 years but from memory spec is:
    XTR drivetrain
    Maverick DUC fork
    Maverick from hub, Chris King rear hub
    Hope brakes
    Cranks Bros dropper seatpost, Maverick stem, Easton CT2 Monkeylite bars, Ergon cork grips