Garmin - broken USB

bigac
bigac Posts: 20
edited January 2015 in Road beginners
So it seems the USB has broken on my Garmin 705. It'll still charge via my PC but won't recognise any ride history when i try to upload to Strava (even though it still shows on the device itself).

Garmin want £80 to replace it but i just wondered, can i insert a Micro SD, transfer the ride history and download it to strava manually? if so how do you set the device so that it saves to Sd card rather than the internal memory?

Comments

• NeXXus
    NeXXus Posts: 854
    Changing the setting will only apply to new rides.
    And the people bowed and prayed, to the neon god they made.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    BigAC wrote:
    So it seems the USB has broken on my Garmin 705. It'll still charge via my PC but won't recognise any ride history when i try to upload to Strava (even though it still shows on the device itself).

Garmin want £80 to replace it but i just wondered, can i insert a Micro SD, transfer the ride history and download it to strava manually? if so how do you set the device so that it saves to Sd card rather than the internal memory?

On the 800, I believe it's in the "recording" menu in the set-up. I might get mine to do that too as it's getting more and more iffy.

As above - it will only apply to new rides
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • bigac
    NeXXus wrote:
    Changing the setting will only apply to new rides.

thats fine, i've resigned myself to losing the old ride, it was amazing though, 25mph average over 2000ft climbing :wink::lol:

I've had a quick look and can't see anything in the settings. But i haven't got a micro SD card so i'll grab an one and see if a new option/ settings appears.
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    Can't write to the SD card on the 705.

You can probably fix the 705 with a small piece of rubber like an elastic band or ear bud. The fix is very simple with the commonest issue.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    Try a good squirt of wd40 in the usb and then blow clean with a compressor if you have one. The usbs corrode and this causes them to fault.

I don't have the 705, but on the 800 for older ride data you can convert activity to course and then save it on the micro usb, then use a converter to convert it back.

for the 800 you can force it in to mass storage mode which sometimes works. Biggest flaw in the otherwise brilliant device.
  • bigac
    jibberjim wrote:
    Can't write to the SD card on the 705.

You can probably fix the 705 with a small piece of rubber like an elastic band or ear bud. The fix is very simple with the commonest issue.

ah, just went and bought an SD card :(

I always have to force it into mass storage mode as it won't connect otherwise (just charges). but when it is connected there is no ride history when i view the drive in finder/ windows explorer.

Seems like its on its way out but I'm reluctant to spend £80 on a replacement 705, its served me really well for 4 years, but may be time to upgrade. Might be a good excuse to splash out on an 810 if/ when Handtec get some in stock. :D

thanks all.
  • bigac
    can i use gt85 instead of WD40? don't have any WD40.
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    probably - though doesn't it have lube in it? moisture dispersant or Isopropyl alcohol would be best. As long as you have decent compressor to clean it after.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    I wouldn't use WD40 or GT85. Although both contain solvents WD40 will leave a thin oil behind, which will go sticky over time as the more volatile elements vaporise, and GT85 will leave teflon behind.

As diy says, use isopropyl alcohol (electrical contact cleaner). Make sure you blow it dry immediately. If you leave the alcohol sitting on the plastics then they can absorb it and swell up (depending on the material).
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    just a thought - you are using the same data cable as before - i picked up a USB cable recently - only wired up for power charging, not data transfer !!
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2
  • bigac
    Yep thats a good point. i have been using a different cable recently as i lost my usual one. i have ordered a garmin cable for a few quid off ebay to see if that sorts things.

Weirdly the device is now 'not supported' when connected to Strava, and still no data is visible.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Could be the issue... Garmins are temperamental about their cables