Saucy thoughts about a new carbon steed...

Comments

• letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    Have you looked at Paulscycles?

Or how about this (54 medium available) - very well specced + I really rate the wheel set.

http://www.cycledivision.co.uk/product- ... id372.html
  • the_fuggler
    the_fuggler Posts: 1,228
    Shame about the Zero (they are made by Ridley I believe). Again, loads in St Austell, but that's not terrribly helpful!
    FCN 3 / 4
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    Pulling a sicky today Menthel? Get yourself over to Sigma.
  • Not sure which Evans you are using but the one in Kingston is close enough to allow you a test ride around RP. I should mention that it is staffed by the undead.
  • menthel
    menthel Posts: 2,484
    Ensconced at home leaking green snot from my sinuses but might consider a drive over to Sigma later.

Am using Wimbledon Evans- they are quite good and I can cycle roads I know to compare the bikes. Shame I can't get to the park from there but it will have to do! As an aside both guys I spoke to said that the Emonda is amazing but categorically said they would have the BMC!
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Not sure which Evans you are using but the one in Kingston is close enough to allow you a test ride around RP. I should mention that it is staffed by the undead.

Yeah, I'd be very wary about buying a bike from Evans... friend bought a Spesh a few years ago from Evans Victoria, the RH crank fell off when he was riding it home...

Some other options:

Aprire Vincenza (£2045)
    http://www.aprirebicycles.co.uk/online-shop/vincenza/vincenza-4-0-6-detail
    img_2521-copy.jpg

Steven Arcalis
    arcalis_custom_black-red_58_cm.jpg

Neil Pryde Nazaré 2
    2015-neilpryde-nazare-2-aero-road-bike01.jpg
    Horrid cable routing though.

Fuji Transonic
    1417471565774-17ml9ysnn6n19-630-354.jpg

Also (just curious) why do you feel Campag is a 'pain to maintain at home'? I run Campag and Shimano and have no issues. Have a double headed cassette tool but otherwise all tools I need are the same (although I leave the BB etc to the Pros).

Finally - I think you are nuts to not at least consider Canyon. Yeah the delivery times can leave a lot to be desired but they are fantastic bikes (at least the ones I've ridden are) and the VFM is ridiculous. They do have a UK service centre in Kingston and may allow a test ride or two if you sweet talk them!
  • menthel
    Have emailed Aprire- just down the road from me.

As for campagnolo- I can't take off the cranks and sort the BB without buying a bloody expensive tool. Otherwise I like my Veloce groupset on the Italia.

I have no urge to support Canyon and don't really like the look of the bikes that would fill the brief I have.
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • dyrlac
    dyrlac Posts: 751
    I also like the Wimbledon Evans, but I've taken test rides to the park, only about 15 (ok maybe 20) minutes away if you give it some welly along Worple/Coombe Lane/Norbiton/Kingston Gate (and even closer if you take the A3 from Coombe Lane up to Robin Hood Gate). For a £2k (or for that matter £330 last time) bike, I'll run a test ride for an hour or so unless the bike is obviously unsuitable. But then again I spend so much money at that Evans that maybe they just don't mind.
  • menthel
    Dyrlac wrote:
    I also like the Wimbledon Evans, but I've taken test rides to the park, only about 15 (ok maybe 20) minutes away if you give it some welly along Worple/Coombe Lane/Norbiton/Kingston Gate (and even closer if you take the A3 from Coombe Lane up to Robin Hood Gate). For a £2k (or for that matter £330 last time) bike, I'll run a test ride for an hour or so unless the bike is obviously unsuitable. But then again I spend so much money at that Evans that maybe they just don't mind.

If I get the time I will give it a bit of a longer run- should be under 20 minutes to the park for me, its only about 12 from home!
    RIP commute...
  • il_principe
    menthel wrote:

I have no urge to support Canyon and don't really like the look of the bikes that would fill the brief I have.

Fair enough. They don't have much in Carbon at the £2k mark I guess - aside from the Ultimate CF which isn't the best looking.

Aprire look decent. I think Velosport in Putney stock them.

Edit - you could always buy my 2008 Pinarello Prince!
  • oldbazza
    oldbazza Posts: 646
    menthel wrote:
    Really, you had to show me that? The one frame I really lusted after in this years tour? Gah!

Go on,go on,go on,,,, :

mrsdoyle.jpg?w=300&h=215
    Ridley Helium SL (Dura-Ace/Wheelsmith Aero-dimpled 45 wheels)

Light Blue Robinson(105 +lots of Hope)

Planet X XLS 1X10(105/XTR/Miche/TRP Spyre SLC brakes

Graham Weigh 105/Ultegra
  • veronese68
    Aprire look decent.
    Not seen them before, they do look nice.
    I pass where they are based quite often, had no idea they were there. There's also some sort of community bike project in that building. I keep meaning to give them some of my old stuff they might be able to make use of.
  • menthel
    Did something useful this morning- took my Italia out for the commute. My goodness it's a good bike, especially with the wider rims and Michelin service course tyres on. So bloody comfy and nicer to ride than the 00. Sets a benchmark I guess- anything else I try will have to do something better than the Italia to make the investment worth it.
    RIP commute...
  • menthel
    Well Phil at Aprire got back to me and is dropping a bike over for testing- very nice service!
    RIP commute...
  • il_principe
    menthel wrote:
    Well Phil at Aprire got back to me and is dropping a bike over for testing- very nice service!

Now that's service! Be interested to hear what you think of it.
    menthel wrote:

As for campagnolo- I can't take off the cranks and sort the BB without buying a bloody expensive tool. Otherwise I like my Veloce groupset on the Italia.

Although IME Campag BB's last a long time. I don't recall replacing the one on my '08 Prince. The Dogma2 certainly hasn't needed one yet and it's done over 7000 miles...

Just sayin' :wink:
  • menthel
    I will report back after testing.

As for campagnolo, I just want to be able to get to all the mucky bits of my bike and with my ability to find unsuitable routes through muddy paths the need to be able to get the cranks off and give everything a good clean is quite important to me. I will swap my chain for a kmc one though, should make things a little easier.
    RIP commute...
  • menthel
    The Emonda was in at Evans but due to the weather I couldn't try it. Gave it a quick fondle and it looks to be the right size and the colour is an awesome Fluoro green. Not being used to carbon the massive downtube and BB were a surprise but picking it up it seemed very light indeed. I will go back and try it later in the week but if I get it the White bar tape and saddle will have to go...

In other news the wife has suddenly twigged that one of my existing bikes won't be leaving. It now looks like the 00 May be for the chop...
    RIP commute...
  • leeefm
    leeefm Posts: 260
    Any decisions made yet? The OO is going!? What happened to N+1!?
    Shand Skinnymalinky
    Argon 18 Radon
  • veronese68
    leeefm wrote:
    See my comment in the rants thread. If n+1 = w-1 it becomes disproportionately expensive. I want to know if he's tried the Aprire yet. Strange name for a bike, it means 'to open'.
  • menthel
    leeefm wrote:

The wife happened to n+1. ;)

No decision as yet. The Emonda and BMC are sitting in evans, the Aprire should be with me tonight and I need to get myself to Condor.

Not sure I will be sad to see the 00 go, the ride isn't really for me. The Italia feels much smoother and its a bike I can do big miles on happily.
    RIP commute...
  • menthel
    Veronese68 wrote:
    leeefm wrote:
    See my comment in the rants thread. If n+1 = w-1 it becomes disproportionately expensive. I want to know if he's tried the Aprire yet. Strange name for a bike, it means 'to open'.

Should be with me today. I guess it opens up a new world or something! If the weather is ok I might take it for a moonlit spin round the park on Wednesday.
    RIP commute...
  • menthel
    No sign of the Aprire yesterday. :(

I will contact them again as I rather like the look of the bike.
    RIP commute...
  • menthel
    Am in an industrial unit in deepest New Malden fondling Aprire bikes...
    RIP commute...
  • menthel
    16293191131_cd7f003e01_b.jpgA houseguest by -menthel-

I have a guest in the house. Had a good chat with Phil and it sounds like he has big plans for the company. Will be going round the park in the morning I guess!
    RIP commute...
  • veronese68
    Excellent. It looks nice and I really like the fact that it's local. What time are you going round the park?
  • menthel
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Excellent. It looks nice and I really like the fact that it's local. What time are you going round the park?

Probably about 7.30am or so. Want to join me? ;)
    RIP commute...
  • menthel
    It is nice that they are local- the frame is made in Italy but with full input from the Aprire people and they are just about to launch the 2015 colours etc and they will be spraying in house.
    RIP commute...
  • veronese68
    menthel wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:

Probably about 7.30am or so. Want to join me? ;)
    I will still be snoring at that time. :mrgreen:
    Does look lovely, looking forward to hearing what you think.
  • menthel
    Wuss!

Went and did a couple of laps. The bike is very nice although I think the 54 is too big for me- my lower back felt stretched out and started to ache. It rides well- comfy with decent feedback through the tyres and seems to accelerate nicely. I doubt there will be any records set this morning as it was very cold and rather icy. However, it did give me a chance to check the brakes and I found the ultegra brakes to be superb, as were the brake blocks and carbon brake tracks on the Reynolds wheels.

I can't wait to try the 51 but before that I have the trek and BMC to try...

If you want to know anything else just shout. I might just try to sneak out again tomorrow morning to give it another go...
    RIP commute...