On-one Ringmaster chainring - review

The Rookie
The Rookie Posts: 27,812
edited January 2015 in MTB general
Just got mine through the post, bought when it was on offer at just £17.59, so thought I'd share initial observations (before use)
1/ Well you get a lot of metal for the money, all 61g worth, compared to circa 40-45g claimed for other makes and the 26g my non narrow wide E13 weighs. Almost tempted to apply some Dremelium to reduce weight.
2/ The main ring (below the teeth) is much thicker than I think it needs to be (thicker than the thickest tooth section
3/ The chainline is offset slightly due to the thickness of the main ring as well, probably 2-3mm versus my old plain single ring.
4/ Quality of finish is good, nice even tight machining, good tooth profiles etc.

More once its been fitted and ridden!
Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.

Comments

• Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    Do you need a specific chain to go with a narrow/wide ring?
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Nope. They are narrow wide.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250

No, the chainring has been designed to account for the "narrow/wide/narrow/wide...." internal guage of a chain!
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • The Rookie
    As long as you don't use a single speed half link chain!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    Nope. They are narrow wide.

No, the chainring has been designed to account for the "narrow/wide/narrow/wide...." internal guage of a chain!

Ah, I see. Yes, I've just taken a look at my chain and, indeed, narrow/wide/narrow/wide it is. So the narrow wide ring stops a dropped chain simply by being a more efficient/natural fit.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    Do you need shorter chairing bolts with this ring if you want to convert from double and bash?
  • gt-arrowhead
    gt-arrowhead Posts: 2,507
    Cqc wrote:
    Do you need shorter chairing bolts with this ring if you want to convert from double and bash?

If you are intending to run just a single ring with no bash, then yes, you need shorter chainring bolts.
  • The Rookie
    I doubt you do actually as this ring is so thick, its probably as thick as two normal rings and normal 2 ring bolts will work!
  • The Rookie
    Ok update on the ring bolts...
    Frankly On-one have screwed up, stock ring bolts (for two rings of a triple) are too short for the thick ring unless you put the female side through from the front, if you put it in from the rear it won't reach the spider to locate the ring properly, I prefer truvative ring bolts as they use two Allen keys not the silly slot of Shimano but they won't work unless I lose the bash ring, I do have some longer females in my pot (not sure where from) and they are just long enough to locate spider and bash from the rear, but for most people is they want to run a bash they will need the extra long bolts for a polycarbonate bash and you'll never be able to run the on-one ring and a polycarbonate bash as no bolts will be long enough I think.

One reviewer on their own website says he couldn't fit it as the offset due to the thickness meant it fouled on his frame, so beware of that as well, I have had a look at my frame and I think this may be going back as I don't think I have enough clearance either.

So be aware of this if you go for the on-one ring, shame as it's a fundamental error really, from what I have read, while the Superstar has some initial bedding in issues, it is the better bet.
  • gt-arrowhead
    gt-arrowhead Posts: 2,507
    The Rookie wrote:
    I prefer truvative ring bolts as they use two Allen keys not the silly slot of Shimano

Ive never understood the ridiculous slot thing. Such a PITA to fit and remove.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Probably done about 200 miles on my Superstar one your right some bedding in issues the chain not releasing from the chainring but that soon goes.

Shimano chainring bolts are easy if you have the daft little tool Im with Rookie on the allen key ones far less hassle.
  • The Rookie
    Well the good news is I have clearance, not much, but enough, so I'll do a riding review once I get a chance, but the chain is secure when going in both directions in all gears when stationary.