Is anyone thinking of entering the fred 2015?

homers_double
homers_double Posts: 7,977
I am along with my brother in law, do I need dissuading?
Advocate of disc brakes.

Comments

• I did think about it... then I decided to go for the Etape du Dales instead... I guess I am a bit worried about the 2 scary descents after over 100 miles... very easy to overcook one and end up in hospital when you're not thinking clearly
    left the forum March 2023
  • I did think about it... then I decided to go for the Etape du Dales instead... I guess I am a bit worried about the 2 scary descents after over 100 miles... very easy to overcook one and end up in hospital when you're not thinking clearly

I was prepared to walk up some of the hills on the Fred, but very surprised I had to walk down one.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,719
    Yes planning a group entry, done it 3 times before, it's a really good event. The descents of Hardkott and Wrynose are so technical people tend not to get caught out - Honister is the one where you see the carnage because it follows the fast descent of Kirkstone, I think some assume Honister will be more of the same but it tightens up, steepens and the road is rutted so people suddenly find out they have too much speed and end up in a dry stone wall.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • rodgers73
    rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
    I did it a couple of years ago. It isn't that bad. The descents are patently tricky so you'd be daft to try them at speed. Just make sure you eat well.
  • I will be entering it. Have done it for the last two years and really enjoy the atmosphere. I managed it in 6h29m this year, so the target for next year (weather dependent) is 6 hours.
  • essjaydee
    essjaydee Posts: 917
    I'm going to apply for an entry. Not successful last time, so fingers crossed this time, plus it meets another goal of mine to reach in May 8)
  • Entered.

Fingers crossed and good luck to everyone!
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    I entered this morning (for the lottery that is), so fingers crossed.

I did it for the first time last year, and really enjoyed it - I eased off the pace so didn't find it too bad, although I could and perhaps should have gone quicker, but I wanted to just get round at the first attempt, and get up Hardknott without climbing off.

Don't be dissuaded - it's a great day, a real carnival atmosphere (as much as the Central Lake district can be on a wet day in mid-May!), and if like me you take it steady you shouldn't have too much problem. I can only dream of a sub 7 hour ride, I would be chuffed with breaking 8 hours!
  • nammynake
    nammynake Posts: 196
    Entry in. Done the last three and did 7:40 last year, so hoping for sub 7.
  • Entry for two of us in as a group.

Fingers crossed now!
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • lakesluddite
    Entry for two of us in as a group.

Fingers crossed now!

that's the spirit - Good luck in the lottery!
  • I'm in the lottery. Fitness stating point is the wrong side of very poor :(:o
    So if I'm successful then I'm hoping for a sub-10.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,719
    I'm gonna enter - in an ideal world sub 7 would be the goal - not the expectation but you've got to aim high. Forget the exact time I did last time out it was that very cold edition 2 years ago and I think a minute or two inside 7.20 and I reckon in decent conditions I might have been close or got inside 7 then but it is so dependent on weather and what groups you drop into.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • We should have a BR corner assuming any of get in!
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • essjaydee
    essjaydee Posts: 917
    johnboy183 wrote:
    I'm in the lottery. Fitness stating point is the wrong side of very poor :(:o

I'll be happy to get round :wink::)
  • essjaydee wrote:
    johnboy183 wrote:
    I'm in the lottery. Fitness stating point is the wrong side of very poor :(:o

I'll be happy to get round :wink::)

Well when you pass me, give us a push :oops:
  • The countdown to shitting bricks is now on!
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • gaanrowl
    gaanrowl Posts: 326
    Entered, constantly checking emails for lotto result!
  • Brief "training" ride today. About a fifth of the distance without much climbing and what have I discovered? That I need to work very hard if successful in the ballot, to reassess my goal, which is now to get around in 1 piece and finally 50-34 is TOO HARD! :(:(
  • Don't worry, thats the camp I'm in!
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • I'm not!
  • manxshred
    manxshred Posts: 295
    Nope, not in. I'll have to find something else to do
  • lakesluddite
    Email this morning...Chubbed!

(From the MEN - 'Arthur Chubb. To be "Chubbed" is one of the worst things that can happen to a loyal United fan, ranking up there with "boiled alive" or even "forced to watch Liverpool".
    It means your name has not come out of the automatic ballot - and the letter informing you of your misfortune is signed by Arthur, the ticket office manager'.)

I have sent an email to volunteer though, so still hopefully be able to encourage y'all around the course (or hurl abuse, whatever).

Entered the Etape Du Dales instead - that looks no walk in the park either.
  • gaanrowl wrote:
    im in!
    I'm in too!
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • plodder73
    plodder73 Posts: 326
    Yes in as well, wish I'd got a no though!
  • nammynake
    In for the 4th time. Can't wait ! It's a bloody superb event.
  • phippss
    phippss Posts: 96
    Also in. Need to get training :D
  • I'm in. Really need the weather to improve and work to slow down a bit so I can start putting the work in. 1st time for this 61 year old road riding novice so not too worried about time goals, will be happy just to get round.
  • nammynake
    Ideal time of year to get a couple of turbo sessions per week - start building your fitness earlier rather than later, and turbo sessions are ideal for those short on time or don't like riding in foul weather.