training plan

chrisjohnsen
chrisjohnsen Posts: 40
edited January 2015 in Road beginners
Hi, I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for a training plan.
I have been riding for 3 years, doing about 4000 km last season, but without any structure or plan.
This has worked out OK, but because of family, school and work I see that I need to structure the traing more for next season. Since my time is limited i can only manage between 2-4 rides per week.
What should be the main focus of the training? And if I have to drop one workout, which one is the least important?
I have no goals of doing sportifs or other competitions, but I enjoy cycling as a traing form and see it as a great way to stay fit. But, I hope to improve my riding and form this year.

Thanks in advance for any tips,

best Chris.

Comments

• Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Most training plans are built around what your objectives are. Since you don't appear to have any objectives then it is a bit tricky! So, if you want to generally go a bit faster/further/climb then just ride. I know that sounds a bit tongue in cheek but it is not meant to be. Personally, I don't train as such but I do a variety of rides (long/short/hilly/flat) and I ride them at a variety of effort (hard/easy/medium), seems to work for me.

I would recommend things like Sufferfest on the turbo (or interval sessions on the road but they are a bit harder to do properly)...but not that often, once a week at most. Then, mix with 1 long ride per week, and one easy ride. Then do a ride every now and then that pushes you completely (maybe an audax of 200k, sportive of 100 miles, etc.).

There are training plans on the web, look up BHF, etc., but they generally aim towards the typical sportive. For example:

http://www.doitforcharity.com/cycling-t ... guide.aspx

Group riding is also good as you can mix it up and have no choice but to really push yourself sometimes on a hard long ride when you are the last in line, riding on the limit, suffering like a b'stard and all you can think about is keeping that wheel in front or you know you will get dropped...but you don't want to be riding like that all the time :)
  • thanks for the reply. it seems a bit like the way i have been riding, but maybe that is the way to continue (untill i find some more specific goals). i have included sufferfest this winter, doing 2-3 rides on the turbo a week + once a week in the gym doing mostly squats, lunges, curls etc.
  • BeaconRuth
    BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
    I don't think you can answer the question about what should be the main focus of your training unless you know what you're aiming to achieve. You don't have to have specific events in mind but you do have to at least know what kind of riding you would like to be better at. For instance, would you like to do a certain course or circuit faster, or would you like to be able to ride further? Without having any clue what you want to achieve you can't possibly know what to do in training. It's like asking someone the way to get somewhere without knowing where you want to go!

The first thing I do in the cycle coaching seminars I run is to talk about goal-setting and I think that's the area you need to look at.

Ruth
  • I have used the advanced plan from the British Heart Foundation for the last couple of years and found them really easy to use and fit in around everyday life.

https://www.bhf.org.uk/get-involved/eve ... g-schedule

The effects of having a structured training plan were really noticeable.