Narrow bars

ajoten
ajoten Posts: 321
edited January 2015 in Road beginners
My shoulder width is 44cm, and I've got 44cm bars on my old bike and been perfectly comfy. I've just taken delivery of my swanky new steed and the shop specified 42cm as the chap said my arms were a bit flared out.

However as the spec was for Deda bars, 42 is measured edge-to-edge, so the comparative size of these bars is actually 39.5! They feel very narrow and a bit unstable.

When the bike was fitted I was told (and I trust the guy, you understand, he's a good mate) that my arms were parallel and hence the bars correct.

a. Does this mean the match-bar-width-to-shoulder-width rule of thumb is, in fact, dubious, and loads of broad chaps are running narrow bars?

b. If I get the 46cm Deda bars (i.e. 43.5 in the real world) am I likely to have insufficient cable length to easily swap them over?

Seriously losing sleep over this - I run the risk of insulting my friend.
Андрю
Alu is real.

Comments

• lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    ajoten wrote:

Seriously losing sleep over this - I run the risk of insulting my friend.

You are kidding? At the end of the day you need to be comfortable riding your bike and if that means running bars that are wider than he deems appropriate then that's your prerogative. If he's insulted or offended by that then he isn't worthy of friendship.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • ajoten
    Ah, sorry, half a story in that regard. If I ask him to swap he has to pay out of his own pocket. Alternative is to take the cost on the chin myself.
    Андрю
    Alu is real.
  • ajoten
    Also: note the subforum I posted this in. I feel in no position refute any "need to get used to it" argument. Perhaps I do!
    Андрю
    Alu is real.
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,217
    If the narrower bars are spoiling your enjoyment of riding the bike then change them, however it may be worth giving them a longer trial period to see if you can get use to them. If you can't get on with them change them, after all it is your bike, although as you have realised you may also need to re-cable if there is not sufficient spare available.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Losing sleep over it ? Your life must be brilliant if this is your biggest worry.

Its a new bike - it will feel different for all sorts of reasons.

Personally I'd give it a good few rides and see if I can live with them. If you see Ed Clancy riding his bike - his bars are really narrow - and he's a big guy. Works for him. Marginal gains maybe ??