Saucy thoughts about a new carbon steed...

Comments

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    menthel wrote:
    Oh and speaking of the Devil (Ditchling) anyone fancy it again? ;)
    Good god no! Are you insane?
    Besides, I might hold you up on my heavy old tractor. :mrgreen:
    although I might be swayed, it was kind of fun.
  • menthel
    menthel Posts: 2,484
    Veronese68 wrote:
    menthel wrote:
    Oh and speaking of the Devil (Ditchling) anyone fancy it again? ;)
    Good god no! Are you insane?
    Besides, I might hold you up on my heavy old tractor. :mrgreen:
    although I might be swayed, it was kind of fun.

I will be doing it again- hopefully I will not be as dead at the end! Might even go for a pint after if I can...
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • Have you considered a nice steel Baum? :D

o-nev-2645.jpg
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • menthel
    Have you considered a nice steel Baum? :D

o-nev-2645.jpg

Nope!
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • Then you can add it to your list. They do Ti as well. :D
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • menthel
    Then you can add it to your list. They do Ti as well. :D

I have carefully not put it on my list.

Ti? Boak!!
    RIP commute...
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Boardman carbon. Pukka. air Slr looks loooovely and suits some fat carbon wheels.

This is mine:
    viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13004563
  • Been lurking in the distance for a while now, I sold some of my bikes and imediately missed the carbon. Been looking at getting a new carbon like OP, have now narrowed it down to fuji transonic 2.1 and the Sensa Calibro custom both with DI2 just under or just over the 2k mark.
    Sorry its not me it's the bike ;o)

Strava Dude link http://www.strava.com/athletes/amander
    Commuting, Domestic & Pleasure : Specialized Sectuer Sport Disc

Please Sponsor http://www.justgiving.com/alister-manderfield1
  • menthel
    The boardman slr and transonic certainly look interesting. I will nip into evans today and get them to bring in a couple of bikes for the weekend- the Emonda and the BMC I think at the moment.
    RIP commute...
  • menthel
    That transonic looks very attractive. In the mechanical ultegra version there would be plenty of money left over for some blingy deep section wheels...
    RIP commute...
  • menthel wrote:
    That transonic looks very attractive. In the mechanical ultegra version there would be plenty of money left over for some blingy deep section wheels...

Or you could get one with disc brakes and get blingy carbon clinchers that won't murder you... :wink:
    left the forum March 2023
  • menthel
    menthel wrote:

Or you could get one with disc brakes and get blingy carbon clinchers that won't murder you... :wink:

Come on Paolo, you have met me- it's fairly obvious I can't get up enough speed to use the aero effect, let alone decend anything bigger than a Surrey Hummock! ;)
    RIP commute...
  • ic.
    ic. Posts: 769
    Have you considered the new Cervelo R2?
    2020 Reilly Spectre - raw titanium
    2020 Merida Reacto Disc Ltd - black on black
    2015 CAAD8 105 - very green - stripped to turbo bike
    2018 Planet X Exocet 2 - grey

The departed:

2017 Cervelo R3 DI2 - sold
    Boardman CX Team - sold
    Cannondale Synapse - broken
    Cube Streamer - stolen
    Boardman Road Comp - stolen
  • menthel
    IC. wrote:
    Have you considered the new Cervelo R2?

Yes but the issue is test riding it- Sigma should stock it but do they allow test rides?
    RIP commute...
  • ic.
    ic. Posts: 769
    They'd be fools not to.

Alternatively, find a friend with an R3 and pretend the fork isn't quite as good.
    2020 Reilly Spectre - raw titanium
    2020 Merida Reacto Disc Ltd - black on black
    2015 CAAD8 105 - very green - stripped to turbo bike
    2018 Planet X Exocet 2 - grey

The departed:

2017 Cervelo R3 DI2 - sold
    Boardman CX Team - sold
    Cannondale Synapse - broken
    Cube Streamer - stolen
    Boardman Road Comp - stolen
  • oldbazza
    oldbazza Posts: 646
    Well I've just built up my Ridley Helium sl for just over £2000 with an Ultegra groupset;did get the frame for half price and used some stuff I had(Zonda wheels,Deda stem and bars).
    But the standard version in TDF colours is what I would have got if the sl hadn't come up at a good price;

http://www.slanecycles.com/ridley-heliu ... ApKj8P8HAQ
    Ridley Helium SL (Dura-Ace/Wheelsmith Aero-dimpled 45 wheels)

Light Blue Robinson(105 +lots of Hope)

Planet X XLS 1X10(105/XTR/Miche/TRP Spyre SLC brakes

Graham Weigh 105/Ultegra
  • menthel
    Really, you had to show me that? The one frame I really lusted after in this years tour? Gah!
    RIP commute...
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    oldbazza wrote:
    Well I've just built up my Ridley Helium sl for just over £2000 with an Ultegra groupset;did get the frame for half price and used some stuff I had(Zonda wheels,Deda stem and bars).
    But the standard version in TDF colours is what I would have got if the sl hadn't come up at a good price;

http://www.slanecycles.com/ridley-heliu ... ApKj8P8HAQ

Looks like they have a Large 2013 SL remaining:
    http://www.slanecycles.com/ridley-helium-sl-1305a-frameset-black-white-yellow-2013-p-26382.html
    2679a99bb5b2fbf229bc702a861d66f5.image.650x650.jpg
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • menthel
    Too big for my 5'9"!
    RIP commute...
  • the_fuggler
    the_fuggler Posts: 1,228
    menthel wrote:
    Really, you had to show me that? The one frame I really lusted after in this years tour? Gah!

What size frame are you? I bought a Helium SL Team from my LBS at 50% off recently. Think they might have one left at £1,800...
    FCN 3 / 4
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    menthel wrote:
    Too big for my 5'9"!

Shame :-(

Same here, lovely looking frame though eh.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • menthel
    menthel wrote:

What size frame are you? I bought a Helium SL Team from my LBS at 50% off recently. Think they might have one left at £1,800...

Probably a medium at 5'9". Still, £1800 frame only is a bit rich...
    RIP commute...
  • the_fuggler
    It's a full bike with 11 speed Ultegra and Fulcrum Quattros. I think they've only got large left though. I will check as I've got to pop in later...
    FCN 3 / 4
  • menthel
    It's a full bike with 11 speed Ultegra and Fulcrum Quattros. I think they've only got large left though. I will check as I've got to pop in later...

Interested...

Where is the lbs by the way?
    RIP commute...
  • leeefm
    leeefm Posts: 260
    If you're up for a more cheap kind of carbon jobbie, you could take a gander at the Planet X ones. The N2A looks very nice. Not a bad weight either, but not sure of its pedigree.
    Shand Skinnymalinky
    Argon 18 Radon
  • menthel
    leeefm wrote:
    If you're up for a more cheap kind of carbon jobbie, you could take a gander at the Planet X ones. The N2A looks very nice. Not a bad weight either, but not sure of its pedigree.

Don't fancy planetx, ribble etc really. Again, don't know much about them and I can't try one.
    RIP commute...
  • the_fuggler
    menthel wrote:

Interested...

Where is the lbs by the way?

Ah - here's the catch. St Austell. And none left. Sorry.

As an aside, what about a Genesis Zero?
    FCN 3 / 4
  • menthel
    Have ordered in the Emonda and BMC at Evans.

Not enamoured by the giant tbh.

Have thought about the Zero but can't find anywhere local to try one!
    RIP commute...
  • menthel
    That and I need to get to Condor...
    RIP commute...