Rear Panniers or Saddle Bag?

glasgowbhoy
glasgowbhoy Posts: 1,341
edited January 2015 in Commuting general
Im currently using a backpack to commute 30 miles round trip. I'm getting a new CX bike to use as a commuter/ winter training bike that takes a pannier rack but had noticed the Carradice seat post mounted rack as an alternative.
I do carry a 13.5" notebook laptop at times (not every commute) as well as lunch and work clothes and just wondered what the thoughts are on the best solution?
The Carradice Super C Slim will fit the laptop and I won't need a full pannier rack, with an ortlieb classic I can put everything in one pannier or split over two to balance out but may be more cumbersome to cycle with?

Comments

• I've had both the orlieb pannier and a trad carradice saddlebag on my bikes and I prefer the saddlebag to be honest...but it does depend on how much you're carrying I suppose?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You can put everything in one just fine, you don't need to worry about balance (if that helps at all!).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.