Online streamy things...

UndercoverElephant
UndercoverElephant Posts: 5,796
edited January 2015 in Commuting chat
Right, so we've run out of boxed sets to watch and I've been considering an online streaming subscription anyway so any advice with whom to subscribe to and which streamy-box to access it with?

Ideally I want something that I can switch the playback device off and it pick up where I left off on the same episode/point of time. Anyone?

Comments

• I sold my Apple TV in order to get the Amazon Fire. It's exceptional. Tidy streaming of both Amazon and Netflix.

Install Plex and you can easily stream your PC content to your TV.

And, as I understand it, you can engage in all sorts of shenanigans if you "sideload XMBC." I have no idea, I don't have the time for that sort of thing!
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • R4skob
    R4skob Posts: 40
    I use netflix, as im sure most people will do, that lets you watch it though most mediums ( mine is ps3 and ipad, and when i was back home over Christmas the parents TIVO box).

That lets you pick stop and pick up where you left off again, even across different devices as long as you use the same account. Has to be said, there is a lot of stuff on there to watch... not all of it good
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    We use what was Love film and have also used Netflix, both have a huge library but we find there's an awful lot of B / C movies on there and usually struggle to find anything decent to watch. Netflix did have a 1 month free trial and I suspect that Amazon have the same
  • Have a surfet of idevices and netflix which works well, my wife uses it far more that I. it will stream well over 4G as my wife has found out.
  • Chain Reaction do those streamer things. Reckon they will look fab on your Genesis :?
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • Chain Reaction do those streamer things. Reckon they will look fab on your Genesis :?

Actually, Mrs. Elephant attached some of those to the CR1 when she gave it to me for my birthday.

She seemed a little put-out when I removed them before taking it out :)
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Another Netflix user here. In fact it's the first thing that my daughter pays for that I get use of!!! If you can set up a proxy service to con it into thinking you're in another country (USA) you can get their more extensive library.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Another Netflix user here. In fact it's the first thing that my daughter pays for that I get use of!!! If you can set up a proxy service to con it into thinking you're in another country (USA) you can get their more extensive library.

But not for long...

http://www.cnet.com/news/netflix-vpn-ac ... -geoblock/
  • meanredspider
    Another Netflix user here. In fact it's the first thing that my daughter pays for that I get use of!!! If you can set up a proxy service to con it into thinking you're in another country (USA) you can get their more extensive library.

But not for long...

http://www.cnet.com/news/netflix-vpn-ac ... -geoblock/

We'll see. I find the whole thing irritating - like being served the "with ads" version of the BBC website when I'm abroad and not being able to access iPlayer (without a proxy server). In fact, at my old company, I was also blocked because, though I was in the UK, BBC saw my server was abroad.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • voodooman
    voodooman Posts: 183
    Netflix here and use through my phone to google chromecast on the telly.

Or live streaming sites for free cricket stuff.

Or more likely chasing up some work stuff (how did my dad manage to sit down and read the paper every day?).
  • Ok, so it seems like Netflix will be getting another customer. Have ordered a Roku 2 box for upstairs (good offer from Roku's site). Downstairs we have a Blu-Ray machine and various other things.

Thanks chaps.
  • Netflix is great for series, crap for films. Well worth the £6.99. We access it through our new smart TV, which is brilliant - Netflix, iPlayer and all the catch up services, Eurosport Player, and best of all Plex which streams virtually anything from your PC.
  • meanredspider
    Another one of the downsides of the whole "location" thing is that I wanted to watch the second half of The Killing when I moved to NL. All was good except that the subtitles changed from English to Dutch! :roll: AFAIK there's no way to change it...