Bike advice please - genesis day one ss vs alfine

oodboo
oodboo Posts: 2,171
edited January 2015 in Commuting general
Hi I'm looking to get a new bike for commuting. Narrowed it down to the genesis day one and like the idea of single speed simplicity but wondering if it's a mad idea and should get the alfine version instead?

My commute will be somewhere around 20-30 miles round trip depending on where I'm based that day with some long but not too steep climbs. I used to do this a lot but got a car and got fat and lazy. The single speed will be hard work at first but will it pay off in the end?

Any thoughts from any riders that have from from gears to single speed or vice versa?

Thanks
I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava

Comments

• RossMu
    RossMu Posts: 59
    Hey - It's entirely your choice but I wanted to add a couple of things to consider. I own a Day One Alfine and also a Flyer (single speed).

I really like the Day One; it's got the essential mudguard mounts that you need for this kind of weather and has been really reliable, if slightly on the heavy side.

That said, I have done the commute quicker on the Flyer (and enjoyed it more). If the Day One SS has mudguard mounts, I would probably still be going ss just now; it's a 24-mile trip (only doing one-way) for me.

On researching, the weight difference between the Day One and the Flyer is mostly due to the alfine hub.

Hope that helps.
  • I did 40 miles a day for quite a while on the day one SS. Great bike. Rubbish brakes so get the disc one.

I recall that I immediately swapped out the supplied freewheel. It's an 18t so I believe I got a 16t. Much better for the spinny bits and not THAT hard on the climbs.

As far as payoff, there is definitely some benefit to it in terms of strength. But the real benefit is simplicity.

THAT said, if you get a puncture it can be really, really annoying. Basically you have to loosen the bolts for the wheel and also loosen the chain tensioner bolts. Slide the wheel forward, chain off, wheel out, change, reverse etc. Then make sure you tension properly again etc. For that reason you really should be thinking of getting some good puncture resistant tyres. I used Marathon Plus but Vittoria Randonneur a good option.

FWIW the Alfine is, IIRC, equally faffy, in terms of punctures.

And, here's the biggest reason for resistant tyres. If you fit mudguards to either the fact that you have to slide the rear out, rather than down, then you get real problems with clearing the mudguard.

So, there are the drawbacks. Both good bikes. Fit mudguards, you must fit really puncture resistant tyres.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    Thanks for the reply. I've actually gone out and ordered the day one disc today. Single speed version. Also ordered some marathon plus tyres and mud guards. Not sure what the standard tyres are like but I wanted puncture resistance from the off. I'll see how I get on with the standard gears but well probably drop some teeth on the rear pretty soon if it's an easy enough job.

Also figured, even though it would be quite expensive, I could always put an alfine hub on myself if I really felt I need gears after all.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    I have an Alfine 8 speed on my commuter and when it dies I'll be replacing it with a standard mech, cassette and hub.

Don't get me wrong, it's quite good and easy to maintain but it weighs about the same as the rest of the bike minus the rear wheel, plus it's not as smooth running as a regular deraileuir set-up. Feels quite draggy at times and has done since new. I don't find it a faff to change tyres or tubes with it though, you just need to pop the cable out of it's runner and undo the wheel bolts.

I think you made the right choice ;)
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8