Tour of Cambridgeshire 2015

Anyone heard about this ?

It was on local radio this morning but I have only heard third hand so know no details.

Comments

• paul2718
    paul2718 Posts: 471
    http://www.tourofcambridgeshire.com/

Looks good. I've entered.

Paul
  • In !!!!

Through my home town allegedly... so will need to ride ahead and stop to cuddle my kids ... tradition :)
  • peteb0
    peteb0 Posts: 58
    Seven days ahead of Velothon Wales (which I'm already committed to) but it's nice and flat and in my home county, so will likely sign up this evening.
  • The TT route is actually not that easy for the fens.
  • How they can say that this is the first British Gran Fondo is absurd. The Dragon Ride was the first in 2004 and there has been several other UK event entitled Gran Fondo over the years.
    TL
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    Going to have to do this. Have family around Peterborough so I can take the wife and kids up there for the weekend and then blast around on my bike on the Sunday. What's not to like ?!?!?!

By the way, I couldn't find the route on the website. Anyone know where you can find it, or isn't it released yet?
  • paul2718
    rusty nuts wrote:
    How they can say that this is the first British Gran Fondo is absurd. The Dragon Ride was the first in 2004 and there has been several other UK event entitled Gran Fondo over the years.
    Closed roads and run as a race at the front. Not the same as the Dragon Ride at all and completely in the style of continental Gran Fondos.

It's a shame the road race isn't a qualifier for the Worlds. But the TT gets you a chance of entry, and that ends up with UCI rainbow jerseys. It's a big step up, and it puts Ride London in the shade...

Paul
  • paul2718
    Going to have to do this. Have family around Peterborough so I can take the wife and kids up there for the weekend and then blast around on my bike on the Sunday. What's not to like ?!?!?!

By the way, I couldn't find the route on the website. Anyone know where you can find it, or isn't it released yet?
    Route is lower down http://tourofcambridge.co.uk/Tour_of_Ca ... _Fondo.php

A 'sportive' where 'racing' is the point. Tilt.

Paul
  • Closed roads and a flat (ish) course. I'm in.
  • kingstonian
    Nice and easy to register. See you there, guys n gals.
  • bigaac
    bigaac Posts: 72
    just registered, looks good
  • I'm in. Both days
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    So far I have 3 things that I want to do in 2015 and all 3 are this weekend!!! I'm very tempted to enter all the same.
    ETA -signed up.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Had a spin round the provisional TT course in the rain on Saturday and anyone coming thinking its a pan flat testers course is going to have a tough 40 mins or so on the day.
  • mpatts
    mpatts Posts: 1,010
    I'm in for the Sunday, off at the front with my other racey pals. Soon be heading backwards :D
    Insert bike here:
  • Ive entered with a number of mates for the Sunday - which is being billed as Race with Prizes for the winner. If this is the case its going to be interesting to see how they manage to start everyone on a fair basis....Albeit the winner will best time as opposed to first over the line?
    VeloViewer Score
    From 100 of 1,168 segments.
    Maximum possible score: 99.95
  • Had a spin round the provisional TT course in the rain on Saturday and anyone coming thinking its a pan flat testers course is going to have a tough 40 mins or so on the day.

It would need to be all downhill for me to get anywhere near 40 mins. I wil be happy ducking under the hour!

It would need to be all downhill for me to get anywhere near 40 mins. I wil be happy ducking under the hour!
  • has anyone put a ride of the course on Strava?
  • kingstonian
    Have had a nightmare since Xmas as due to my knee causing untold problems I haven't been near my bike, and I've just realised I only have 2 months to build up any semblance of fitness. Was looking forward to it, but now it is looking like a bit of an ordeal.
  • markwb79
    markwb79 Posts: 937
    paul2718 wrote:
    rusty nuts wrote:
    How they can say that this is the first British Gran Fondo is absurd. The Dragon Ride was the first in 2004 and there has been several other UK event entitled Gran Fondo over the years.
    Closed roads and run as a race at the front. Not the same as the Dragon Ride at all and completely in the style of continental Gran Fondos.

It's a shame the road race isn't a qualifier for the Worlds. But the TT gets you a chance of entry, and that ends up with UCI rainbow jerseys. It's a big step up, and it puts Ride London in the shade...

Paul

I thought that it did qualify you for the worlds in the road race?
    Scott Addict 2011
    Giant TCR 2012
  • At the bottom of the Tour of Cambridgeshire website page it states ''Please note the Gran Fondo is not a UWCT qualifying event''
  • markwb79
    markwb79 Posts: 937
    At the bottom of the Tour of Cambridgeshire website page it states ''Please note the Gran Fondo is not a UWCT qualifying event''

Cheers, thats really disappointing. Shame. Looks like I wont be qualifying then.
    Scott Addict 2011
    Giant TCR 2012
  • paul2718
    I think they have road race wild cards to offer strong performances. Or something. I guess this may all get upgraded if it's a success and there's a next year. Perhaps the Gran Fondo isn't quite Gran enough at the moment?

Looking forward to it anyway.

Paul
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,712
    Likewise.

It is what it is and it goes past the end of my road.
  • At the bottom of the Tour of Cambridgeshire website page it states ''Please note the Gran Fondo is not a UWCT qualifying event''

The GF has now been awarded World Qualifier status. The home page hasn't been updated yet but the announcement was made by email to registered entrants yesterday (Friday 8th).
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,712
    Seems there is some objection from local residents to the length of time the TT course is closed.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I'm flying in from the continent ( :wink: ) for the GF - doing it for fun and towing my bro round so, unless we get classified by our combined age, I won't be winning any prizes :lol: .
    Is my memory playing tricks with me or is it shorter than it was?
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Just spotted the following on the ToC Facebook page:

"Car parking passes, rider numbers and final instructions will be emailed to entrants over the next few days in seperate emails. Please check spam / junk folders if you haven't receievd anything by mid week"
    New Malden to Epsom Downs
    60 percent of the time, all of the time
    Wilier Triestina
    Canyon Ultimate CF SLX
    Rose Xeon CW-3100 Di2
  • kingstonian
    Just spotted the following on the ToC Facebook page:

"Car parking passes, rider numbers and final instructions will be emailed to entrants over the next few days in seperate emails. Please check spam / junk folders if you haven't receievd anything by mid week"

Mine arrived yesterday