Shimano D-Fly

StayingLate
StayingLate Posts: 11
edited January 2015 in Road general
Unless I’ve got it completely wrong, installing my Shimano D-Fly link into my Ultegra di2 will require a small di2 wire to go from the D-Fly to the rear mech.

Is this correct, and if so, where do I get a suitably small wire from?

Cheers.
Cannondale SuperSix EVO Ultegra Di2

Comments

• My understanding is that you unplug the RD cable and plug it into the D-Fly and then plug the D-Fly into the RD. I don't think you need any extra cables - the short cable should be part of the D-Fly: is it not?
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    You do need a small cable, the EWW01 doesn't come with it. One 150mm or 175mm is perfect. Most good LBS selling Di2 bikes will have both parts in stock.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Bar Shaker wrote:
    You do need a small cable, the EWW01 doesn't come with it. One 150mm or 175mm is perfect. Most good LBS selling Di2 bikes will have both parts in stock.

Thanks for that - I'm surprised and would have missed that too when I get around to ordering a D-Fly
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • The manual specifies you should use a 200mm cable if fitting by real mech. You don't have to mount it here, it an go anywhere in the wiring loop and some people stick in seat tube along with battery.

You will also find you will need to upgrade the Di2 firmware to support the addition of the D-Fly otherwise you won't be able to pair it with your Garmin.
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    PhunkyPhil wrote:
    The manual specifies you should use a 200mm cable if fitting by real mech. You don't have to mount it here, it an go anywhere in the wiring loop and some people stick in seat tube along with battery.

You will also find you will need to upgrade the Di2 firmware to support the addition of the D-Fly otherwise you won't be able to pair it with your Garmin.

I'm using a 175mm cable and 150mm would have been ample. Too much loose cable increases the risk of snagging it on something. It would also look a bit pony.

I am using v2.50 of the eTube software and this works fine with D Fly. If you are running 10sp (6770) don't update beyond v2.60 if you are considering upgrading to 11sp by just changing your rear mech, in the future.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • izza
    izza Posts: 1,561
    PhunkyPhil wrote:
    The manual specifies you should use a 200mm cable if fitting by real mech. You don't have to mount it here, it an go anywhere in the wiring loop and some people stick in seat tube along with battery.

Be careful of putting it in the seatpost if you have a non-carbon frame. Signal issues of proprietary ANT have been experienced by some users.