Best value lightest light-duty wheels...?

meanredspider
meanredspider Posts: 12,337
edited January 2015 in Commuting chat
I'd like to get the boy out on his CR1 more this summer. He's small and light (55kg)(thanks, partly to his mum's genes and partly to having a year of chemo at 14) hence, when the CR1 deal came up and I knew (from the docs) that he'd stopped growing, it seemed like too good an opportunity. The only downside is that he's running some old RS10 wheels which, whilst great for the turbo (which he's using a lot) don't really help him out on the Highland roads. I was going to source him some RS80s last summer but his pelvis cracked so he was back on crutches and off the bike. I'm hoping this summer I'll be able to get back on the road with him and his younger brother (who is nearly my height).

Anyhow, which wheels do folk recommend that are light for light-duty use?
ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH

Comments

• leeefm
    leeefm Posts: 260
    Hope the lad is on the mend...

You still after RS80s? They're not bad wheels to be honest, especially if you're pretty light. They're not the lightest themselves though, but not bad.

You could get some decent handbuilt ones that are pretty light, but it depends how much you have to spend. thecycleclinic has got some decent wheels on his ebay page. I've got some Pacenti rims and they're very nice, but can be a pain with some tyres as they are tubeless ready. I'd say they were more stiff than the RS80s for a similar price (depending on build). The hubs are very light for the price, some say not the best for durability, but they are easily serviced and will be good for lightish use.

I'm sure Ugo could comment more on this.
    Shand Skinnymalinky
    Argon 18 Radon
  • meanredspider
    He's good thanks - back to being pretty mobile again.

One option is to give him my RS80s. I was going to use them on the Foil on windy days when the C50s I have on it might be too much but having done some rides in strong winds this last week, the C50s I think will be manageable in anything I'm likely to go out in.

Given his size, stiffness probably isn't a big deal. Despite all the warnings, I'd wondered if the nasty DT Swiss wheels on offer might do the job. It's mostly about getting him motivated to go outside and ride. In the circumstances, cost isn't really a prime consideration but there's also no point in spending more than necessary. Having said that, he's unlikely ever to need to upgrade the CR1 so it might as well have some good wheels.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Despite all the warnings, I'd wondered if the nasty DT Swiss wheels on offer might do the job. .

A few points

1) A local lady weighing probably 50Kg kept breaking spokes

2) Spare double threaded spokes were available but as these are now discontinued, the supply will dry out quickly. No other spoke will fit, although you might be able to have spoke threaded if you know your way round the world

3) The paraphernalia of tools and sacrificial parts necessary to replace a broken spoke will also dry out and I am not sure you can use parts and tools for their MTB range

As wheels go, the DT 1450 in all their numerous versions have always been crap wheels and I am qualified to say so as I did own a pair of 2008 vintage.... which happen to be the very reason I began building my own wheels

But hey ho, if you have 200 quid you don't mind gambling, then why not... at the end of the day the lady in question, despite a few spoke breakages managed to get to the end of the rim before disposing of the pair. For me not being able to get home because of a broken spoke is a major inconvenience, for others is less so... horses for courses, as they say
    left the forum March 2023
  • meanredspider
    Despite all the warnings, I'd wondered if the nasty DT Swiss wheels on offer might do the job. .

A few points

1) A local lady weighing probably 50Kg kept breaking spokes

2) Spare double threaded spokes were available but as these are now discontinued, the supply will dry out quickly. No other spoke will fit, although you might be able to have spoke threaded if you know your way round the world

3) The paraphernalia of tools and sacrificial parts necessary to replace a broken spoke will also dry out and I am not sure you can use parts and tools for their MTB range

As wheels go, the DT 1450 in all their numerous versions have always been crap wheels and I am qualified to say so as I did own a pair of 2008 vintage.... which happen to be the very reason I began building my own wheels

But hey ho, if you have 200 quid you don't mind gambling, then why not... at the end of the day the lady in question, despite a few spoke breakages managed to get to the end of the rim before disposing of the pair. For me not being able to get home because of a broken spoke is a major inconvenience, for others is less so... horses for courses, as they say

Thanks, Ugo - your points gave stopped me wondering (bizarrely, it was your initial response on another thread about these wheels that started me wondering :wink: )
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    Could do a lot worse than taking advantage of the SL23 wheels currently being flogged cheap on Superstar Components, especially if the 30% off discount code is still working. Mine came in at 1525g

You'll have to move fast though, as they only have red hubs left in stock.
  • meanredspider
    DKay wrote:
    Could do a lot worse than taking advantage of the SL23 wheels currently being flogged cheap on Superstar Components, especially if the 30% off discount code is still working. Mine came in at 1525g

Cool - found the New Year 25% code (NEW25) so all good - I think these will be spot on - thanks, DKay
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    No worries dude. I'm almost tempted to buy another set myself. It's a silly, silly cheap deal; £150 doesn't even come close to covering the retail cost of a pair of SL23 rims alone.
  • pollys_bott
    pollys_bott Posts: 1,012
    DKay wrote:

I'm after a pair of as-good-as-possible-on-a-tiny-budget wheels for a beginner's TT bike I'll be building soon. Worth a punt?
  • For factory made, perhaps consider Fulcrum Racings 7s. They're not the lightest wheels in the world, but I used them for 5 years commuting into London and now they're on a road bike I built up for my 15 year old - never went out of true and don't cost much. Look quite good as well.