Carbon Frame Repairs

mozejo
mozejo Posts: 115
edited January 2015 in Commuting chat
I managed to put a 1" crack in the top tube of my Giant Defy Advanced over Christmas. Does anyone have any experience of having something similar fixed ? And if so do you trust it or do you keep thinking ' oh dera this could go again ' ?
I have been recommended to these guys http://www.carbonbikerepair.co.uk/ .
Does anyone have any experience of them ?

Comments

• kurako
    kurako Posts: 1,098
    No experience of it but the results look impressive. If it came out cheaper than a new bike I would give it a go for sure. I know Cycleworx in Southfields advertises they do carbon repairs so sounds like the sort of thing which could become more mainstream. Would be interested to hear the results if you do go for it.
  • mozejo
    mozejo Posts: 115
    If I go down this road then I'll definitely put some pictures / comments up .
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Repair in the middle of a tube is pretty trivial if everything's still properly lined up, and if done properly there's no reason it shouldn't be at least as strong/stiff as the original.
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • mozejo wrote:
    I managed to put a 1" crack in the top tube of my Giant Defy Advanced over Christmas. Does anyone have any experience of having something similar fixed ? And if so do you trust it or do you keep thinking ' oh dera this could go again ' ?
    I emailed them about my daughter's fork and didn't even get a 'p1ss off don't be stupid' reply. Make of that what you will.
  • rower63
    rower63 Posts: 1,991
    Agree with TGOTB.
    I went over the handlebars at very low speed (3 mph?) of my Storck a while ago and introduced 2 bits of damage on the top tube about 6 inches forward of the seat-post, one a shatter-crack where I think the side of my knee hit the side of the tube, and one longitudinal crack on the underside of the same tube. I decided that this was not a high-stress or high torsion part of the frame, so was worthy of remedy. Initially I identified all the actual cracks, and drilled a 2mm hole at the end of each of them to stop them propagating, prob 7 holes in all. It worked, and none of the cracks made any further progress while I continued riding it. However, it clearly wasn't going to survive another similar crash.
    I eventually took it to a boat-builder who uses a lot of carbon in his manufacture, and he agreed to effect a repair, using carbon sheets and epoxy, which has held up well.
    I used to have a carbon Look, early generation, which developed a crack in the seat tube starting at the FD hanger - in manufacture, I think - and despite giving this crack the drill-hole treatment, it continued to propagate, up and down. I binned the frame, and take the view that any cracks in the seat-tube are too risky to repair. Likewise IMO head-tube or at or very close to any of the tube-joins.
    Dolan Titanium ADX 2016
    Ridley Noah FAST 2013
    Bottecchia/Campagnolo 1990
    Carrera Parva Hybrid 2016
    Hoy Sa Calobra 002 2014 [off duty]
    Storck Absolutist 2011 [off duty]
    http://www.slidingseat.net/cycling/cycling.html
  • shmooster
    shmooster Posts: 335
    mozejo wrote:

Funny, could have sworn I'd replied to this.

Anyway, I used these guys a while ago to repair a crushed seat tube and they made a great job of repairing it. I'd use them again and recommend them. Give them a call once they're open again after New Year and see what they say, they're usually very helpful.