Tubeless tyres leaking air through side wall

paul.skibum
paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
edited January 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
I recently bought a new front tyre for my bike - WTB Vigilante - tubeless ready and going on WTB i21 rims also tubeless ready and taped.

New tyre is seated and pumps up but deflates over a couple of days.

Did a spray/sponge with soapy water to see where the leak was as I have done before and nothing showed as obviously leaking so I filled the sink and immersed sections of the tyre in the water.

The only visible leaking seemed to be beading of air on the surface of the sidewall which when wiped away reformed over a few seconds.

Is this a common issue anyone else has come across and would more sealant plug the leaks?
Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    As it is tubeless ready and not tubeless add more sealant.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • paul.skibum
    nicklouse wrote:
    As it is tubeless ready and not tubeless add more sealant.

Tubeless Compatible System - how much sealant does it need? Its had 50 odd ml from one of those Stans one shot bottles.
  • shindig
    shindig Posts: 173
    On my recent 27.5 conversion to tubless I had 75ml in each wheel. looses very little air in a week, probably. About 1 -2 psi. When I did my 26er wheels I used 50ml and the wheels would loose about 3 - 5 psi per week, same model of tyre, different whel size.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Vigilantes are big tyres. I'd use 100ml of sealant.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Keep shaking the fluid and keep blowing them up... they'll seal eventually lol
  • paul.skibum
    Glad I bought a big bottle of sealant!

Cheers for the replies peeps.
  • I had a bontrager tyre go back for seeping air through the sidewall.

It left a froth on the surface and kept deflating even over just a day.
    Trek,,,, too cool for school ,, apparently
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Leave the wheel on it's side overnight, use a bucket or something as a stand so so it is level, that way the sealant can get to the porosity, leave it upright and the hole will have no sealant by it.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • shindig
    shindig Posts: 173
    And one thing I do now is clean the inside of the tyre with brake cleaner. This removes the film used whe they make the tyre in the mould. The residue film can stop sealant doing its job.
  • jfry94
    jfry94 Posts: 392
    When I did my vigilantes I cleaned the inside of the tyre with warm soapy water, and just shook the wheel a few times. I also used 2 caps of stans sealant. Good luck
    2014 Giant Trance 27.5 1
    2013 Cannondale Jekyll 3
    2007 Carrera Kraken
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I have only ever got away with 50ml sealant in proper tubeless tyres, in tubeless ready I always use 100ml.