Thermal (unpadded) tights over padded shorts

nuggiebok
nuggiebok Posts: 63
edited January 2015 in Road beginners
Hi all

I've got a comfortable pair of padded gel shorts that I'd like to continue to wear underneath some thermal unpadded tights I picked up in the wiggle sale. Neither shorts nor tights are bib varieties, so my question is, what is the best way to prevent the tights from slipping down to my thighs whilst cycling and exposing my very cold derrière?

Are there braces I could use that would be comfortable?

I've got some knee warmers but they are only 3/4 length and its been a bit too cold for that, hence the long tights. I had ordered some Gore full length leg warmers but they are a touch too small and when I tried to order replacements they were sold out.

This Spring I shall be investing in a good pair of bib shorts.

Comments

• me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    Standard clip-on braces used to work just fine.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Just watch for them pinging off if you stretch them too far. Safety glasses are advisable.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Pick up some padded bib shorts in the winter sale :)
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • Depends on what tights you have- I have some unpadded roubaix cycling tights which I use over normal shorts in the winter, and they stay up fine.

If you're thinking of 'normal' tights such as long johns, I also have a pair of 3/4 length thermal tights designed for skiing which are fine underneath the shorts- it takes a good few hours of riding before it starts to feel much different to just having the shorts on.
  • the thermal tights I have are DHB flashlight full length. Unpadded. But my shorts are very shiny (Altura Progel) and so they just slip off around my butt.
  • Me-109 wrote:
    Standard clip-on braces used to work just fine.

I'd agree with this. All very well some people saying buy some new bib tights but if you're on a tight budget, this solution will work just fine. They'd not need to be very tight to just stop the tights slipping down.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Yes they'd do but it's well worth buying bibs in the long run. I saw too many exposed lower backs last time I was out on the bike. Bibs are designed like that for a reason.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Not having braces or bibs on a road bike is a pain in the winter especially. You will be forever stopping to pull things up. In the summer when your weight is lower it is less of a problem. I just got some bib shirts in the sales half price recently ready for when the weather warms up.
  • crikey
    crikey Posts: 362
    Buy bib tights and bib shorts.
    They are designed like that for a very good reason.
    Otherwise buy some clip on braces and use them to keep both up.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    dont they have a string around the top that will hold them up? Do your normal trousers fall down? I dont get why they wouldnt stay up without bibs?
  • I think it's because I am wearing them over shiny Lycra shorts, so there is no grip. They don't come up as high as my shorts either so don't stand a chance.

I'm managing perfectly well with my non bib shorts at the moment, as all my base layers are long enough to tuck in, although I will be buying a pair of bib shorts for summer. It's just trying to find the best way to stay warm on my legs.

Today I wore my shorts and knee warmers and was just about ok, on a damp and miserable windy afternoon. If I was out any longer I'd have froze!
  • andy9964
    andy9964 Posts: 930
    Shorts on top of the tights?
  • stonflo
    stonflo Posts: 21
    Had some running tights left after I was running. Pair of padded under shorts. Comfortable and warm.
  • BeaconRuth
    BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
    I've never felt the need for bib shorts or bib longs. When I suffered what I think the OP is suffering (longs that didn't seem to stay up over my comfy shorts) I used some standard braces. No probs. Cycling tops are long enough at the back so I never got a cold back.

Ruth
  • Gav888
    Gav888 Posts: 946
    When its really cold I use 2 pairs of thermal longs, both have padding though which is a bit weird 'under neither' at times but keeps me legs nice and warm :)
    Cycling never gets any easier, you just go faster - Greg LeMond