Upgrade wheels and tyres or just tyres

mh892
mh892 Posts: 5
edited January 2015 in Road beginners
Hi all, Been reading several reviews about my bike and they all say the stock wheels and tyres are not too good. Alex Rims DC19 and Kendra Koncept 700 x 23. Am thinking should I upgrade the wheel set and tyres or just the tyres. If I do either what would be the noticeable difference I see from each option? I have seen Fulcrum Racer 7 bundle with Michelin service course tyres on wiggle on offer at the moment which are within my limited budget range. Are these a decent upgrade wheel set? I've read that the tyres are quite good. Many thanks

Comments

• rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    That package would be a definite improvement, especially the grippier Michelin tyres.
  • JayKosta
    JayKosta Posts: 635
    Just about ALL bike reviewers complain about the wheels! It seems to be true that the original tires are inexpensive to avoid having the bike's price be higher.

The original wheels are also usually chosen for a price point and to provide good durability. The bike makers don't want original wheels that might be prone to problems, or which limit the rider's weight, etc.

If the current tires have 'wire beads', then replacing them with a 'folding bead' tire can give a substantial performance improvement by reducing the tire weight - maybe also use inner tubes that are 1 step lighter than 'standard' tubes.

Jay Kosta
    Endwell NY USA
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Fulcrum 7's aren't much of an improvement on standard wheels IMO. Personally, at this time of year I would advise you just to ride your bike as often as is safe to do so. If you have some money burning a hole in your pocket then get a decent gilet/jersey or something else that will help you ride in rubbish weather.

Put some money aside each month though and in April get some wheels that will make a difference (think of things like Zonda/RS81 or handbuilts with Ultegra hub/Archetype H Plus Son), along with some nice zippy tyres (like Pro4/GP4000s2/Ultremo ZX).
  • keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    Keep the Alexrims wheels, there is absolutely no performance gain with Fulcrum 7.
    Fit supple 25 mm tyres and as the Alex's are 16,5 mm wide you can use lower pressure, perfect for the winter.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    I found on road bikes getting decent tyres improved things no end. The original ones on my road bike had poor puncture protection and didn't roll as well.