Strava 2015 challenges

markhewitt1978
markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
edited January 2015 in Road general
Gran Fondo instead of it being 130km there's now two seperate challenges one for 100km one for 150km.

There's now a monthly climbing challenge to do 20,150ft in a month no idea why it's that amount.

Comments

• Can't people set their own targets?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Can't people set their own targets?
    Of course, but you dont get the right to buy a very expensive jersey for meeting your own targets.
  • Dippydog3 wrote:
    Can't people set their own targets?
    Of course, but you dont get the right to buy a very expensive jersey for meeting your own targets.

Why not?
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • Dippydog3 wrote:

Why not?
    Because thats how it works.
  • Dippydog3 wrote:
    Dippydog3 wrote:

Why not?
    Because thats how it works.

I'd better stop buying expensive jerseys whenever I meet my own targets then.
    Thanks for the heads up Dippydog :D
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • vs
    vs Posts: 468
    There's now a monthly climbing challenge to do 20,150ft in a month no idea why it's that amount.

2015 with a zero at the end :wink:
  • Good a reason as any!
  • http://blog.strava.com/new-year-new-achievements-9125/

They have also announced there will be awards for the best segment results of the year as well as all time.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    http://blog.strava.com/new-year-new-achievements-9125/

They have also announced there will be awards for the best segment results of the year as well as all time.

It would have been much better if they'd had the nerve to get rid of the all time KOMs and made it annual only but that's Strava for you.

Challenges aren't really much point either if they are the same every month.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Just noticed a new feature..... 2015 KOM!!!!!!.........now that really is scraping the barrel!
  • dilatory
    dilatory Posts: 565
    I'm already fed up of seeing 2015 KOM and it's only the first day. Such a silly idea. What next? KOM on a blue bike!
  • topcattim
    topcattim Posts: 766
    Strava is what you make it. If you choose to use it to compare yourself with others, then you've got all the variables of not knowing if you are comparing your long slog into a headwind on your own against a clubrun coming through with a tailwind. All simple numerical figures are going to be susceptible to that sort of bias.

That said, I actually quite welcome the idea of 2015-only results. Not because it means that I can compare myself against all other riders in 2015. But because I can compare myself against myself in 2015, and see how my performances this year are getting better (or not!). And while, of course, that is still vulnerable to the whole weather condition thing, it is still a source of information that we can each, individually, choose to ignore or not.
  • topcattim
    topcattim Posts: 766
    joe2008 wrote:
    topcattim wrote:
    But because I can compare myself against myself in 2015, and see how my performances this year are getting better (or not!). And while, of course, that is still vulnerable to the whole weather condition thing, it is still a source of information that we can each, individually, choose to ignore or not.

You could have done this last year, just filter to view 'My results' and 'This Year'

The 2015 trophy thing really sucks!
    Fair point, and TBH I never bothered (shows how much I care!) But given that they have made it easier to do something, and given that I don't pay any money for this information, I'm all in favour!
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Dippydog3 wrote:

How do you mean? Does Strava sell jerseys? I'm not a Strava user so serious question.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • At first I thought that is a nice idea- now I've seen a couple of people's rides I can see it might be a pain to sift through and see if you actually did set any pbs on training marker segments until much later on in the year...

Just a new gimmick to make people feel better about themselves I guess.
  • Dippydog3
    Dippydog3 Posts: 414
    Dippydog3 wrote:

How do you mean? Does Strava sell jerseys? I'm not a Strava user so serious question.
    Yes they do. If you complete challenges, some of them give you the right to buy a jersey. The jerseys are actually very good quality. They take forever to arrive though.
  • I don't really see how you can claim the 2015 trophy thing sucks. As the overall is still there it's only an icon beside the segment name.
  • Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    I don't really see how you can claim the 2015 trophy thing sucks. As the overall is still there it's only an icon beside the segment name.

After a ride i like to compare my times over a few climbs and see how im getting on. If i have a top 10 or even just a PB then previously it would be easy to see as those times would stand out...but now its in amongst all 2015 times, it just gets lost amongst the mess. I was out for 15 miles today and that got me nearly 40 2015 KOM, i was miles off my own PBs never mind the top of the leaderboards yet get all these achievements because i was first to ride them. I even got one where i stopped to fix a puncture halfway up the climb - 20 minutes for what should be a 5 minute climb!
  • Dippydog3
    If you dont like the way Strava does leaderboards then look at your data on Veloviewer.
  • john1967
    john1967 Posts: 366
    joe2008 wrote:
    I don't really see how you can claim the 2015 trophy thing sucks. As the overall is still there it's only an icon beside the segment name.

After a ride i like to compare my times over a few climbs and see how im getting on. If i have a top 10 or even just a PB then previously it would be easy to see as those times would stand out...but now its in amongst all 2015 times, it just gets lost amongst the mess. I was out for 15 miles today and that got me nearly 40 2015 KOM, i was miles off my own PBs never mind the top of the leaderboards yet get all these achievements because i was first to ride them. I even got one where i stopped to fix a puncture halfway up the climb - 20 minutes for what should be a 5 minute climb!

This is why it sucks.

But its only 1st of Jan the important thing is who will have 2015 KOM in December.Surely if you enjoy using strava then a good aim is now to keep as many of those 40 2015 KOMs as possible.Makes perfect sense to me.
  • Buckie2k5
    Buckie2k5 Posts: 600
    Dippydog3 wrote:
    If you dont like the way Strava does leaderboards then look at your data on Veloviewer.

for a fee.
  • davep1
    davep1 Posts: 836
    Buckie2k5 wrote:
    Dippydog3 wrote:

for a fee.
    Heh? There's a LOT of data on my FREE Veloviewer...
  • joe2008 wrote:

This is why it sucks.

I don't see the problem. The top tens and PBs still stand out as they take precedence over a 2015 record, so quickly scanning through I can see segments where I set a PB. (I actually find it a shame that I can't tell if that is a 2015 KOM as well until I go to the segment leaderboard.) I think I like the idea of an annual segment contest as it gives the concept a bit more currency and added competition.

Rule No.10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster

• I don't see the problem. The top tens and PBs still stand out as they take precedence over a 2015 record, so quickly scanning through I can see segments where I set a PB. (I actually find it a shame that I can't tell if that is a 2015 KOM as well until I go to the segment leaderboard.) I think I like the idea of an annual segment contest as it gives the concept a bit more currency and added competition.

Personally I would prefer it if the yearly contest was the main competition and the all time contest being a secondary thing.
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,447
    I was going to go out this morning for the first time in 3 weeks, and blast it down my normal W-E route out with a 30+mph westerly tailwind (the loop back would have been nasty) but a knackered rear brake courtesy of an Evans 'Mechanic' scuppered my ride before I got up the garden path. I was so p*ssed off I couldn't even be bothered to get my other bike out.

Now tomorrow is forecast to be p*ssing it down and Sunday below freezing! :cry:
  • NorvernRob wrote:
    I was going to go out this morning for the first time in 3 weeks, and blast it down my normal W-E route out with a 30+mph westerly tailwind (the loop back would have been nasty) but a knackered rear brake courtesy of an Evans 'Mechanic' scuppered my ride before I got up the garden path. I was so p*ssed off I couldn't even be bothered to get my other bike out.

Welcome to British Winter.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    NorvernRob wrote:

what was knackered about it that an allen key wouldn't fix?
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • john1967
    john1967 Posts: 366

I don't see the problem. The top tens and PBs still stand out as they take precedence over a 2015 record, so quickly scanning through I can see segments where I set a PB. (I actually find it a shame that I can't tell if that is a 2015 KOM as well until I go to the segment leaderboard.) I think I like the idea of an annual segment contest as it gives the concept a bit more currency and added competition.

Personally I would prefer it if the yearly contest was the main competition and the all time contest being a secondary thing.

same here,annual times seem far more relevant.
  • Dippydog3
    A voice of dissent. I really like the yearly targets.

All our local lifetime KOM's are held by people who have gone out in groups and optimum weather conditions (a howling tailwind) and therefore have very little chance of changing hands unless you go to a lot of trouble.

Leaving aside the argument aabout whether any of these are important, if you do want to see how you stack up to the local competition I think it is a good additional feature. Yes, the numbers are a bit silly at the beginning of the year, but they will settle down.

Might have been better to make the award ror the last 365 days instead.