Womens Carrera Vulcan

Antm81
Antm81 Posts: 1,406
edited April 2015 in Your mountain bikes
Picked this up in September for my 9 year old in September as a Christmas present.

Made a few changes, put an old set of Corratec rims with zzyxx hubs on saving 150g each end, a Maxxis ardent on the front I had saving another 250g, then a crossmark on the rear saving another 500g, A set of stolen thermalite pedals and some superstar grips.

In total we shed about 1.1Kg yet it still weighs roughly 15.2kg on my scales.

16118782701_fe792004a9_z.jpg
Untitled photo by antm81, on Flickr

It's also got Sram sx4 3x8 shifters and mechs, Tektro mechanical disc brakes and suntour xcm forks.

Brakes will be changed to Tektro hydraulics which are coming off my Hoodoo, then one day I'll change the forks too.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The XCM are pushing 2.5Kg, that will be the big saving.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Antm81
    The fork is high on the list of changes, an air sprung fork will also easily allow me to tune it to her weight too.

Decent ride round the local woods this morning but we discovered the stock saddle isn't good for her so looking at a madison y-04 to replace it
  • Antm81
    Little update.

Brakes have been changed to Tektro Auriga Comps off my Hoodoo and the Madison Y-04 has been fitted for her. Fork is still on the list to be changed at some point.

She loves how it rides and she seems a lot faster than on the Carrera Luna she had before.
  • My Mrs has one of these, it was a bargain at the time (heavily discounted). I have a bit off a soft spot for messing around on it, not sure if its the smaller frame, but its really fun, and its easy to pop wheelies on it. Fork is heavy, and bouncy but serves a purpose. The Tektro cable brakes are its down fall, really spongy with no bite, had better Vs. Its not getting ridden much these days, as she now has my old TriCross CX.

Don't think we would ever part with it, if it doesn't get used this year, thinking of a respray, new fork, some old XT and new brakes then my 10YO lad can have it when it fits.
  • Myster101
    Myster101 Posts: 856
    My Mr's has one of these as well (also picked it up as a bargain). Did try to sell a few weeks back as she's just got a new bike but no intrest so will keep hold of it for my oldest daughter who's just getting into MTB (chuffed dad :D ). Forks and brakes will be swapped out though.

Scott Genius MC 30 RIP
    Nukeproof Mega AM 275 Comp
    Cube LTD Rigid Commuter
    Ribble 7005 Sportive