Giant Propel Advanced 3 (2014)

pedrojake
pedrojake Posts: 229
edited April 2016 in Your road bikes
Having this year started club racing, sprint duathalons and TT's, I shopped about for a while for a dedicated TT bike. Whilst on the net, I stumbled across this, fell in love and thought for under £1200 was an absolute bargain.

Stuck the C50's on from the Pinarello, which will now be the everyday training bike. Only managed a quick 40 miler, but it feels stiff, sharp and wants to go fast. Stem will be slammed once I've got the feel for it. Still deciding whether or not to de-sticker the rims.

All I want for christmas are the legs and lungs to go with it.

Size M
Frame - Advanced-Grade Composite
Fork - Advanced-Grade Composite, Full-Composite OverDrive 2 Steerer
Handlebar - Giant Contact
Stem - Giant Contact
Seatpost - Giant Vector Composite
Saddle - Fi'zi:k Arione MG
Pedals - Shimano 105 spd's
Shifters - Shimano 105 20 speed
Front Derailleur - Shimano 105
Rear Derailleur - Shimano 105
Brakes - Giant SpeedControl
Brake Levers - Shimano 105
Cassette - Shimano 105 12-28
Chain - KMC X10L
Crankset - Shimano 105 39/53
Bottom Bracket - Shimano Press Fit
Wheels - Shimano RS80 C50's
Tyres - Continental GP4000 23's
Extras - RideSense ANT+ transmitter & Elite stealth cage

imagejpg1_zpsb40faa5c.jpg

imagejpg6_zps55bec3b6.jpg

imagejpg4_zps61f47584.jpg

imagejpg2_zps34db62ae.jpg

imagejpg5_zps32b867d6.jpg

imagejpg1_zps6a08f264.jpg

imagejpg8_zps9a8f09c5.jpg

Comments

• ianbar
    ianbar Posts: 1,354
    really nice! less then £1200? great buy! yes de-sticker in my opinion....enjoy
    enigma esprit
    cannondale caad8 tiagra 2012
  • ademort
    ademort Posts: 1,924
    Thats really nice, enjoy.
    ademort
    Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Beautiful. Looks much nicer than the Silver/Grey and blue version I saw advertised recenty.

I could be wrong but is your chain not on backwards? I know every Shimano chain I ever bought says thats the wrong way around as far as the instructions go anyway.
  • Lovely bike. Can I ask how tall you are and how do you find the fit?
    Thanks and happy xmas.
  • Thanks guys, yes it was 40% off the £2k retail, hard to go past IMO.

Think I will de sticker the wheels, bit much going on with all the logos. It's not subtle anyway!

I never even knew a chain had a way to go on! I'll see about changing it round cheers for that (some spot too! )

I'm 5' 8", and it's a medium. It fits like a glove mate. I'd prefer a little more seat post showing but by time I slam stem I reckon it'll be aggressive enough for me. Looking forward to getting a good blast on a sunny day
  • ademort
    Beautiful. Looks much nicer than the Silver/Grey and blue version I saw advertised recenty.

I could be wrong but is your chain not on backwards? I know every Shimano chain I ever bought says thats the wrong way around as far as the instructions go anyway.

Really good spot well done sir.
    ademort
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • You'll be wanting to line that brake block up a bit better too... looks decidedly skewed?

Otherwise, lovely thing, enjoy!
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • ademort
    You'll be wanting to line that brake block up a bit better too... looks decidedly skewed?

Otherwise, lovely thing, enjoy!

While we are on the subjet the seat points down a little and the bars need turning a little bit downwards. However i,m sure you will get it tweaked to perfection once you,ve ridden it a few times. :D
    ademort
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,216
    You listed the chain as a KMC X10L, KMC 10sp chains are non-directional, if it is running and shifting well, leave it alone.

"Are your 10-speed chains directional?

All our 10-speed chains are NON-Directional, which means that assembly of our chains is independent of direction."

"*) NON-Directional Design: assembly of this chain is independent of direction! It allows maximum compatibility, no matter MTB or Race: this chain fits all."
  • IrishMac
    IrishMac Posts: 328
    Don't de-sticker them, the bike looks sick with them!
    Member of Cuchulainn C.C. @badcyclist

Raleigh SP Race
    Trek 1.2
  • Cheers DJ, I'm assuming it is the chain as per the Spec on Giants website.

Ade/Wheelspinner, the seats been adjusted as have the block before the once and only cycle to date, pics were taken straight out of the box.

Mac, still undecided on the stickers........
  • Bike looks great, regarding the desticker, can you do a photoshop, even a crude one will give you a rough impression! :D
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,216
    Pedro,

Your chain looks identical to the one fitted to my 10sp Defy which is also an X10 L, if you look carefully you should find KMC stamped into the missing link.
  • Looks lovely can I ask where you got it? Thanks
  • DJ, yup, it's KMC cheers.

Murph, photoshopping a bit out of my comfort zone! I'll maybe have a bash in the new year when back at work.

Mullet, I picked it up through Winstanly Bikes

Happy New Year folks
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    niiice!!
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    awesome
  • ravey1981
    ravey1981 Posts: 1,111
    Bike looks amazing, really like these. Did a VERY rough photoshop desticker for you....

VeV8xvI.jpg
  • pedrojake
    Cheers for that Ravey. Having seen that now swaying towards removing the stickers. Slightly more subtle (..... If you can have a subtle black and orange Propel!)
  • iamruss
    iamruss Posts: 1
    PedroJake wrote:
    Having this year started club racing, sprint duathalons and TT's, I shopped about for a while for a dedicated TT bike. Whilst on the net, I stumbled across this, fell in love and thought for under £1200 was an absolute bargain.

Hello. I am considering getting the same model, but I am not sure if I am fit enough for STD crankset. So, how do you find this bike after a while? Do you like it? Thanks.
  • pedrojake
    Hey Russ, it's only the last couple of weeks, with the better weather, I've been riding the giant. I've 2 other bikes, a Ribble 365 and a Pinarello FP2, both with compacts, so the std crank has been a little tough to get on with at first, mainly just 'knowing' which gear to be in. So far it has been used in a few races and longer, flatter runs, and I have to say it just seems to fly. Meant to do the first 10 TT next week but am away on hols; I'll be interested to see if it makes a difference to my previous PB.

I was going to sell the pinarello, but instead have stuck a set of lighter wheels and have kept it for hillier rides. I'd say go for it, just be prepared to have to work a bit harder, specially when the road starts going up.
  • Sorry to drag up an old post, but just found this.

I love my propel.

I have done some upgrades on mine now.
    11 speed Dura-ace front and rear mech
    11 speed Dura-ace shifters
    Zipp bars
    Ultegra chainset
    Fast forward F4R tubs
    I had to get rid of that god awful fizik saddle, so put my old faithful spesh one on.

Currently weighing in at 6.6kg, so not too bad for an aero framed bike 8)
    Have you looked at the brake upgrade on yours?