What is the best £400 bike?

jmargolis19
jmargolis19 Posts: 9
edited December 2014 in Family & kids cycling forum
I am currently looking into purchasing a new bike for someone 150cm tall with a budget of £400. I mostly cycle on the road and on cycle paths but I don't want a pure racing bike despite the fact that I think a light quick bike is the best for me. I was wondering what the best option would be when buying a £400 bike for use in parks and on roads. Are there any bikes that really stand out? I hope someone can share knowledge on this area or have had experience with it in the past.

Comments

• bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    An Islabikes Beinn 26 L is a lightweight (sub 10kg) flat bar do-it-all bike for £350 which is fine on road and off... my son had 2 of these in different sizes before getting a hardtail MTB. The Islabikes website is good - their size guide is spot on and their phone support is excellent. The 26 L is for 146cm and over... their adult 29er looks to be slightly too big, and is £450 so a bit expensive too. I'd also visit Decathlon (and the Decathlon website) as their road and mountain bikes look good and seem very good value... though I have not ridden one.
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • Islabikes do seem to be a very good value for money manufacturer. The Beinn 26 L definitely appears a very good bike. I may, however, spend an extra £100 to get the Luarth 700 S which also seems superb for what I'm looking for. Islabikes are very highly recommended and this comment supports my previous view that they are very good bike makers. What I do wonder though, is that despite the obvious quality that they have, is there such a large gap between them and the other options (to suit my needs) that they must definitely be considered the best option?