Its very icy out there this morning.

2»

Comments

• mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Dippydog3 wrote:
    Actually when I looked down, through the phone sized hole I saw no injury. It was only when I moved the hole that I saw the problem.

Ah I see, a bit of pinch and zoom and dragging the image about to see the whole injury.
  • Had a fall about two weeks ago on a corner hidden from the sun at about two in the afternoon. Down before I knew I was going but just skidded along and got away with a couple of cuts.
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    Slowbike wrote:
    Kajjal wrote:
    Not worth the risk if it is icy, you can really injure yourself.

Same old same old .... every year a few folk come out with this ...

There's risk all year round - gravel, leaves, ice, oil or other vehicles - there's loads of stuff that can make you crash and risk injury - for me Ice is a similar risk - you need to mitigate it as you do the other risks - and that means not pushing it around corners, being more restrained in your speed and perhaps reviewing the gear you use for riding.

I, along with many others, continue to commute by bike throughout the winter - even in ice & snow - I've only once canned a ride and that was due to late night heavy rain followed by clear skies that meant even the main roads were complete ice and I was too lazy/late to pop the studded tyres on ...

Most other hazards are visible, black ice sadly isn't. I've a mate who came off on black ice doing a completely straight line, the road had some camber and that was sufficient. Not worth the risk
  • Gazspurs
    Gazspurs Posts: 122
    Your not the only 1 dude! 8)

Pleased to hear nothing more than a bit of pedal & pride was damaged, I had very similar a couple of weeks back & although climbing the walls to get out over the festive period haven't risked it as yet.

On the plus side New Years Day is looking warmer & cloudy so should be dry & free of that horrible black ice.

Straight to be after 12 just after 12 for me then up & out early :D
  • robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    My rule of thumb is whether there's frost on the cars - it seems reasonably reliable. Frost = spiked tyres. When I've ignored this, I've had close calls.

Which tyres do you use? thinking of buying a set as it is very cold here now.
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    Rode 100 miles from Worcestershire to Berkshire Sunday and it was fine...stick to the gritted roads...my Garmin did take me down a lane which was covered in ice but I just eased off and cruised over it. You need to adjust your riding for the conditions.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    minus 7 here overnight so a good 60 min turbo session followed by a walk along the same route i rode on my mtb a couple of days ago, the good news is the mud has frozen :shock:

B6HTmmeCcAEaulc.jpg

B6HTgF2CQAAmUtA.jpg
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • kbmack
    kbmack Posts: 73
    Big crash this afternoon! Descending Rock Hill (Chelsfield/Sevenoaks) very cautiously, hit some black ice, slapped the road hard and slid down the hill for 40 yards. Ouch!

Fortunately, handlebars, pedals, hip and upper arm took the brunt. A bit stiff around the neck, no pain however. Oncoming motorist very helpful (probably wondered what on earth I was doing out!). I retired hurt and ambled home, nothing more than some dented pride. Took revenge by hammering out a half marathon in 1 hour 15 minutes but probably not the wisest response as I am aching quite a bit presently.

Giant Defy composite escaped, save scratches to the brake levers that can be remedied.

Have fun and happy new year.
  • This is typical of the routes I've been doing

14snow4.JPG

Ice Spiker Pros love it (in fact I'm sure they roll better in a thin layer of snow - 60kmh on that surface a few hundred metres away at Learnie Red Rock

Couple of others from up there

14snow1.JPG

14snow3.JPG
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Blimey - can't believe how many of you guys have come off. Hope you're all OK and don't wake up too battered and bruised tomorrow!
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Derailluer arrived... tomorrow frozen ride around the Tamsin Trail... 8)
    left the forum March 2023
  • This is my weapon of choice - I've literally done thousands and thousands of miles on Ice Spikers with zero drama

IceSpiker.JPG
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    I came very close to coming off earlier, had been sticking to the main roads the past couple of days but got bored so went out on some smaller lanes. Was managing to avoid most of the ice and snow just fine, hit a patch of black ice and had a Gregory Bauge moment, front end went then the back end really went the other way, god knows how I rescued it but I got a nice round of aplause from the guy in the passenger seat of the car behind me as they went past. As for my mate who's been giving me grief for sticking to the main roads, he can do one after that.
  • Have been of the bike due to man flu for the last couple of days , and i know if I had been ok I would have ridden and quiet possibly with my crash record come a cropper , its the only thing making me feel a little better at the moment .regards
    ILG