Blow up ! In the last 15km

speedjunkie
speedjunkie Posts: 69
edited December 2014 in Road general
Hey guys just bought my first road bike, i used to mtb casually but nothing serious , today i went for my biggest ride so far 70 km with 700m of climbs.

I dont know what happened on the last 15 kms my legs just gave up. Lost all power, what could be the cause ?

Fatigue ? Lack of food ? My breakfast was a yogurt with a banana and coffe. And i took 1 energetic bar.

Cheers from Portugal

Great forum btw been lurking for some time.

Pic from the ride

aaaaa.jpg

Comments

• oxoman wrote:
    Suspect lack of fitness, and possibly dehydration. Build up gradually before going to mad, PS jealous of the view, currently damp cold and getting dark here in the UK.

On this last month, i´ve trained like 25 of the 30 days , i need to rest 2, 3 days probably.

Still never happened to me before, blowing up completely. Must been accumulated fatigue. Also i wasn't thirsty but had run out of water for the last stretch.

Cant complain about the weather, cold but sunny :D
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Bit of both. You need rest days in any plan or you're not training properly. Take a few days off and maybe more good next time.
  • speedjunkie
    speedjunkie Posts: 69
    edited February 2015
    Here is the ride
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,480
    Too many variables to provide an informed answer to your question.

It may be your legs need more miles but they also need rest. Without understanding how hard your previous rides were, recovery, diet, age etc it's only general points.

The main thing is to enjoy your riding :wink:
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • chippyk
    chippyk Posts: 529
    I sometimes wonder if the tiredness in the last few miles of a long run or a long ride is mental. I've also no doubt it's sometimes too many miles in the week(s) before, lack of fitness, a bug, heavy week at work, not enough food/water, too quick etc etc. Unless there is something obvious to work on I move on.