Spring vs retainer diameter

Coxy_UK
Coxy_UK Posts: 297
edited December 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
I just fitted a Cane Creek spring to my Fox Van RC shock, as TF Tuned stated it fits. The one thing I notice is that the retaining disc does not cover the size of the new spring, and doesn't hold the spring exactly central, it can be moved slightly.

My concern is that due to the forces acted upon the retainer, is it possible that it could fail and break?

I hope my description makes sense and I've probably made it sound worse than it is.

Cheers
_______________________________________________________________________________________
Tides of sin draw tighter and brighter, hours become heavier and weighted, and the shadows smile...dark and wild.
<font color="blue">My Stumpy FSR Pic 1</font id="blue">
<font color="red">My Stumpy FSR Pic 2</font id="red">

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    It's fine. You don't want it tight.
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    It's usually ok but make sure the spring doesn't hit the piggyback on the shock when/if it moves. This can damage both the spring and the shock although it's usually just cosmetic except in the worst cases.

I had this with an old Nukeproof spring on an RC4. It only caused some marks to the springs coating though and so long as I didn't move the spring upwards it usually stayed out of the way. I still only bought Fox springs from then on though.
  • Coxy_UK
    Coxy_UK Posts: 297
    Cheers guys, you have set my mind at ease!!

First ride on the bike Friday at Aston Hill :) Never been there either but it's only 26 miles away. I do have BPW on the 8th though too.
    _______________________________________________________________________________________
    Tides of sin draw tighter and brighter, hours become heavier and weighted, and the shadows smile...dark and wild.
    <font color="blue">My Stumpy FSR Pic 1</font id="blue">
    <font color="red">My Stumpy FSR Pic 2</font id="red">
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You could get a local shop to make up a couple of small centring top hats.....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    You don't want the spring tight. It needs to be free, there is a tiny amount of twisting in the spring as it compresses and it can tighten or open out as well. There's all sorts of weird things happen to coils as they compress.