K Edge Go Pro Mount screws

redvision
redvision Posts: 2,958
edited December 2014 in Workshop
Morning,

Just a quick (and maybe stupid) question,

I bought my dad a new set of Ritchey handlebars for Christmas which I went to put on his madone yesterday but spotted a problem. He has a Go Pro which is mounted under the bars using the K Edge mount. When I went to remove this I realised he had tightened the screws so much that he had rounded them & I can't remove them, so the mount is stuck on the old bars.

There is enough of a gap to maybe saw through the screws (not bothered if we damage the old bars) but would there be any other way of removing them?
And are the screws for the K Edge just standard ones you can get in a hardware store or bike shop?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    If you saw through the old screws you will still have the problem of removing the residual bit of the screw that remains in the mount body.

One possible suggestion is to find a torx bit that is a fit for the rounded off recess in the srcew. Even if you have to hammer if in to get it to fit , the torx bits have multiple facets that will give you more purchase and you might be able to loosen the screws that way. Also a good pre-soak in WD40 or Plus Gas would help.
  • redvision
    Thanks for the quick response mate. Will try that this afternoon.

I think they are pretty standard screws but will have to find some replacements (if I do manage to get the thing off the bars)
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    they are (iirc) M3s, but you need ones with a narrow head - a standard slotted head does work, but they're too wide and don't fit in the mount properly.
  • redvision
    So have just spent the last hour trying to get the screws out. Managed to get the one free but the other just will not budge. No matter what we try we cant get anything to fit in it and stay put when we try to unscrew it.
    Any more ideas? I'm really stumped with this.
    Slowbike wrote:
    they are (iirc) M3s, but you need ones with a narrow head - a standard slotted head does work, but they're too wide and don't fit in the mount properly.

any idea where to get some replacements with the narrow head?
    thanks
  • Don't have that mount to check but how about these

http://www.westfieldfasteners.co.uk/A2_ ... ap_M3.html

I used similar for stem.
  • Just drill the head off, then with the mount removed and the other half of the mount out of the way you should have enough protruding thread to get some mole grips on it and turn it out
  • redvision
    Problem solved! Finally managed to get the one which was stuck out this morning!
    Soaked it in GT85 last night and left it. Then this morning someone suggested that i put copperslip on the end of the torx bit i was having to use. First attempt and no luck. Tried again and it came straight out :D Result!

Now to get some replacement screws.

Thanks for all the help fellas. Much appreciated.