Garmin GPS

Tackle
Tackle Posts: 387
edited December 2014 in Road general
Hi All

I know they have been around a while, but I'm looking into getting my first cycling specific GPS. I've used a Garmin Forerunner for road running for years and I like the look / spec list of the Garmin Edge 500. I know they have been around for years, but I see them on Wiggle for around the £130 mark.

Anyone who has one care to advise me on if they are any good? Any others I should been looking at? I particularly like the idea of the Barometric Altimeter which will allow me to keep a track of the amount of climbing during rides instead of having to wait for Strava when I get home.

Any comments welcome.

Simon.
Currently on an Orbea Onix.

Comments

• kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    I have a 500 and use it for road and mountain biking. It is easy to customise the screen display and once you set it to update position every second it is accurate enough for mountain bike trails. I have had no problems with mine.
  • The 500 is a great device. Don't be put off by the fact that there is a 510 model which costs more. It'll probably do what you want. If you want performance monitoring and aren't bothered about mapping - perfect.

There was a brief boxing day deal on the 500 at Amazon. For a few hours, it was just £79.99. If you're thinking about it and it comes up again at that price, it becomes a lot easier to make the decision!
    Alan
    http://www.scarletfire.co.uk

The Ultimate List of Strava Add On Sites!
    http://www.scarletfire.co.uk/strava-sites
  • Yeah I managed to get one for 79.99 during the flash sale. Arrived an hour ago!

If you are going to buy one out of the sales, better off getting the performance pack as the heart rate monitor and speed/cadence sensors are pretty expensive seperately
  • Tackle
    Tackle Posts: 387
    Thanks all for the info so far.

I already have a compatible HR band from my Forerunner.

Kammybear - does the basic unit not give a speed readout? I'm not worried about peddling cadence, but would like close to real time speed readout.
    Currently on an Orbea Onix.
  • Tackle wrote:

Kammybear - does the basic unit not give a speed readout? I'm not worried about peddling cadence, but would like close to real time speed readout.

Well you can save a tenner then by going to www.handtec.co.uk - I think their cheapest is £120.

But, if you have a Forerunner, I'd lurk for a better deal on Amazon or someone. The Forerunner will give you most of what you need even if elevation is only by GPS.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Tackle wrote:

It does give a speed read out based on the GPS sensor but you can get further sensors that measure pedal revolutions and wheel turns as well. It's about £50 for those and £40 for the heartbeat sensor.