Which new forks?

amandaseims
amandaseims Posts: 13
edited December 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi,

I have a very old 26 inch 2001 trek 8000 (this one: http://www.bikepedia.com/quickbike/Bike ... model=8000) with rock shock judy forks. I'm thinking of getting a cross bike as most journeys I do at the moment are for transport (sold the car) and I'd like to do some touring off-roads but would still like a MTB for slightly more technical xc riding and adventure races.

I can't afford two new bikes so I'm thinking of replacing the most worn parts on my trek. A few years ago I had to replace the chainrings, cassette and cranks which wasn't too much of a cost. My rims are well worn but I may be able to get new wheels from someone else.

The judy forks have a big hole in them (rust?) and to be honest I've always felt my bike is trying to throw me off when I hit a slight bump so it would be good to get rid of these.

Any suggestions for something cheap but reliable and sturdy? I'm not planning on doing big jumps and I prefer mpre riding more long trails with some singletrack.

Happy to consider second hand if in very good condition so suggestions of old models would be helpful.

Thanks

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Are you still running v brakes?
  • Yes I am or rather I was...I took it for a service, assuming that they'd only need to tune gears and brakes but not only have my forks corroded through but I need new gear cables and casing, new wheels (which I knew about), new headset and the chain, chainrings and cassette I only replaced 6 months ago have completely worn which I didn't expect. So it looks like I need to buy a new bike......would really like a cross bike and mountain bike but as I can't afford both then it looks like I'll get another MTB and commute on that