Joes no flats problem

Monkeyman01
Monkeyman01 Posts: 43
edited December 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
I wanted to convert to tubeless, so I got some tubeless ready tyres and I measured my inner rim width to order 'joes no flats' kit.

My inner rim width is 21mm so I went on their website to find out which one and went for the 'all mountain' kit as it says fits all rims 19mm - 25mm inner rim width. I ordered the kit from chainreaction - when it came, it says on the packaging "compatible with inner rim width of: 26" - 23- 25mmm, 27.5" - 20 - 24mm, 29" - 19 - 23".

My wheels are 26", so this would suggest that this kit doesn't work. However, the 'all mountain' kit was the only one that says it does 21mm rim width, so I guess i need to return it or use it anyway.

Does anyone have any experience of this, or of this problem?

Comments

• poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    return it and buy some gorilla tape/valves - much cheaper
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The Hopes hoops Stans conversion kit is cheap, £20 gets you tape, valves and enough sealant for your first two tyres.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    I'm assuming you want rim strips and not just tape? The rim strips are meant to give a better seal on non tubeless rims to stop the tyre burping so easily so tape is not really a suitable substitute.

The CRC site does clearly state the different widths for different wheel sizes in the description for the Joe's kit. I'd return it and buy a Stan's No Tubes kit. They're more expensive but also appear to get a better reputation. You also appear to get more sealant with the Stan's kit.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    the stans kit was useless on my brother in laws non-tubeless rims. used gorilla tape and DT swiss valves instead and significantly cheaper.