Di2 Retrofit

Crashs2k
Crashs2k Posts: 78
edited December 2014 in Workshop
Looking for advice on retrofitting Di2 to a Giant Defy frame with internal cable routing and integrated seat post. Frame is a Giant Defy ISP.

Some questions:

1) Do you need to remove the internal cable runs/sheathing and cable guide under the bottom bracket?
2) Is there a specific seat topper from Giant which allows installation of an internal battery or is it DIY wrap it in foam and cable ties?
3) Is there a specific replacement Giant grommet set?

Any other advice , hints and tips appreciated. Taking it to the Giant store tomorrow will report back findings as am intending to do build myself.

Comments

• You will need to say what year the bike is. Some newer bikes will be easy to do as they would be designed to take Di2, older frames won't, so while you could still fit Di2, it might be a bit of a struggle.

As an aside, why are you going for Di2? I've used Ultegra Di2 and it was lovely, but I wouldn't have it on my bike....
    jedster wrote:
    Just off to contemplate my own mortality and inevitable descent into decrepedness.
    FCN 3 or 4 on road depending on clothing
    FCN 8 off road because I'm too old to go racing around.
  • 2014 frame so its Di2 ready.

Just got shim/wedge kit for the internal battery and a couple of grommets for top and seat tube from Giant store.

Have been meaning to try Di2 for a while now and seemed like a good entry point with latest version of ultegra.

How did you find it and why wouldn't you have it on your bike?
  • You will need to say what year the bike is. Some newer bikes will be easy to do as they would be designed to take Di2, older frames won't, so while you could still fit Di2, it might be a bit of a struggle.

As an aside, why are you going for Di2? I've used Ultegra Di2 and it was lovely, but I wouldn't have it on my bike....

Why wouldnt he go for Di2? Its a superb system that works better than mechanical.

So you didnt like it. So what? Have we all got to eat Duck this festive season just because you dont like turkey?

:roll: