Idiot tubeless question.

MisterMuncher
MisterMuncher Posts: 1,302
edited December 2014 in Workshop
So, I'm getting ready to set up tubeless for the first time (Pacenti Rims, Schwalbe Tapes, tyres, valves and goop) and I'm fairly sure I understand the process.

What worries me slightly is that I intend to use these wheels for best, owning a perfectly decent set of training clinchers that will see the majority of my working miles. I'm aware that tubeless tend to lose pressure over time, so I'm wondering if I'm best keeping them topped up whilst they're off the bike, or if it's ok to let them sit. I'm just mildly concerned about the sealant sitting in a flat tyre.

Comments

• If you are not using them, I wouldn't seal them just yet...

By all means fit the tyres, but leave the sealant out until you use them... this way you don't have to worry about them going flat
    left the forum March 2023
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Sealant takes a very long time to dry IME - I've left tyres with a small 'puddle' outside my workshop for months and it doesn't dry out or form great lumps. I've got some tubeless MTB wheels that are left for months on end and don't lose pressure - if the tyre bead fit is good, there's as air-tight as tubed tyres IMO. This is my 'tubeless' venture - 45Nrth Dillinger 5 tyres on 65mm carbon rims:
    AnPjy4fl.jpg
    Inflated tubeless straight-off with a track-pump without sealant and yet I can fit and remove the tyres without levers - result. BTW "5" is the width in inches :D
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Oh I will use them, but not frequently. They could be sitting for 2 or 3 weeks at a time is what I mean. I wasn't planning to hit them with sealant until I was about to use them first.
  • Oh I will use them, but not frequently. They could be sitting for 2 or 3 weeks at a time is what I mean. I wasn't planning to hit them with sealant until I was about to use them first.

Should be fine then. Store them valves up
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    It's suggested that you renew the sealant every six months. Also, I've had a pair of tubeless converted Archetypes sat around for about 6 weeks unridden, fitted with 23mm Schwalbe Ones. They've held pressure much better than my normal butyl-tubed tyres.
  • Anyone have any issues with Schwalbe Tape or sealant?
  • Anyone have any issues with Schwalbe Tape or sealant?

Schwalbe sealant = Stans
  • Grand so.