Assos worn out in 2 months

on-yer-bike
on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
edited December 2014 in Road general
Rode 102 miles on xmas eve the first 30 were wet. Just discovered the seat on my Assos three quarter bibs is nearly worn through with severe pilling. They are only 2 months old. I also have a vertical friction sore about 35 mm long at the top of my left thigh not sure how but could be the edge of the pad. Any similar experiences?
Pegoretti
Colnago
Cervelo
Campagnolo

Comments

• cswitch
    cswitch Posts: 261
    I had some premature pilling on some bib tights some time ago but it was actually down to a Selle SMP saddle's logo stitching. Does your saddle have any raised texture such as stitching? Either way if you're unhappy I would think that if you can prove date of purchase Assos would provide replacement.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    I'd like to know what the OP was doing wearing 3/4 bibs at this time of year - or does he live in the south of France..??
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Yes was wet and cold round here too. Not the weather for 3/4 length shorts

Is there something rubbing on your saddle / seat post ? Velcro ? Rough patch ?
  • robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    My assos 3/4 bibs have lasted for years and still look virtually new. Something must be rubbing on them somewhere. Velcro from seat pack perhaps?
  • robbo2011 wrote:
    My assos 3/4 bibs have lasted for years and still look virtually new. Something must be rubbing on them somewhere. Velcro from seat pack perhaps?

Yes - definitely something external like a the seat pack strap (I damaged some DHB tights that way many years ago). My Assos shorts have gone grey (from black) in the last 4-5 years but no significant wear.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    A fiver says the OP sits on a Charge Spoon. Nice saddle, but it eats kit....
  • Imposter wrote:

I might take you up on that - my guess is that it's Selle Italia or something else Italian :wink:
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Campagnolo

:D
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • I have a Charge Spoon that has not eaten through anything.........it's used for commuting 40 miles per day. So a pretty good test.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • on-yer-bike
    Yeah my mistake. I had wrapped the saddle rails in electrical tape and had peeled off a little but enough to touch my shorts. I was testing the saddle. Not sure why I got a friction sore though.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • on-yer-bike
    Imposter wrote:

I might take you up on that - my guess is that it's Selle Italia or something else Italian :wink:
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Campagnolo

:D

Your right. All my three saddles are Spech Romins but this one is a San Marco that I am testing.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • I ride 3/4 Assos bibs regardless of the cold.
    Decent socks and overshoes and it really is no problem.
    I can't be doing with that old lady's rolled down stocking effect around my ankles on full length tights which occurs whatever brand/fit!!
  • WTF are the point of 3/4 bibs - all the downsides of full tights without the benefits of covering 6" of your legs....?

For the record, I wear proper shorts in anything much above 0C